Freshwater Prawns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Have any of you ever come across freshwater prawns? Texas has at least 4 species, ranging from a few inches to around 2 feet. These aren't crawfish, mind you (though the young ones can look like oversized grass shrimp). Since the larvae need brackish water to develop, you'll generally find them in water bodies which eventually connect to the ocean.

Some photos -- color can vary, and claws may look different if regrowing after they've been lost:

Bigclaw or painted river prawn (Macrobrachium carcinus), the largest species:
800pxmacrobrachiumcarcinl6.jpg

Cinnamon river prawn (Macrobrachium acanthurus), with distinctively elongated arms:
B6909.jpg

Bristled river prawn (Macrobrachium olfersii), with asymmetrical claws:
crusta10_M_olfersii_Dietzenbach.jpg
AC741T171.gif

Ohio River prawn (Macrobrachium ohione), the least colorful species:
Shrimp%202_1_1.jpg

I'm a high school student from northern Virginia who'll be staying in San Marcos to work with some professors at Texas State through August. They now seem to be pretty uncommon in the upper San Marcos, possibly due to overharvesting, but we haven't explored much of the river and no recent surveys have been done.

I'm seeking both live and preserved prawns. If you have any locations where they can be found, please let me know!

I am fairly certain I have seen them in the large holes behind the submarine in the training area of Aquarena Center. Talk with Ethan, he may be helpful pointing you in the right direction.

I can confirm Robert's sighting of prawns in Spring Lake at Aquarena Center. There was a time last fall where you could always find one under the big rock at the downstream end of Riverbed.

They're all over the place in Spring Lake as mentioned above. Did a night dive there once, and going behind the old submarine theater, shining my light into the grass, it was like little red rubies sparkling all over the place. Pretty cool.

While cleaning up Archaeology once, I exposed a big one lifting a tuft of algae. The surrounding fish were very interested in this, but I waved them off and protected it until it could scurry into the surrounding grasses.

I have seen the cinnamon river variety in the spring lake and the San Marcos River. I have a couple of film slide pics from years ago of them in the river.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll be asking around at Aquarena Center soon.

Lake Travis Scuba:
I have some video from the Glass Bottom boat of the big guy Bogrady mentioned. He was out in the morning scavaging for food.

carlislere:
I have seen the cinnamon river variety in the spring lake and the San Marcos River. I have a couple of film slide pics from years ago of them in the river.

If your video or slides could somehow be made available in electronic form, I'd be very interested in seeing them. Otherwise, no sweat.

The only place I have seen them is under the BIG rock in Catfish Hotel. There are prawn holes along the banks in Spring Lake. Get in touch with either Ethan or Erika, they are the course pros.

Try Zuel Park and under the trestle at City Park...also at Pecan park and the dam at Martindale.
I have seen them at all of these places, though long ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom