Freshwater Mystery Critter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This was a very strange "bug" that the kids spotted on a mountain bike ride near a stream near Greenville, SC. It swam like a frog and when they poked it with a stick, it seemed to play dead. I thought it almost seemed like a crustacean of some kind, (crawfish family?) He seemed like an underwater version of a cross between a cockroach and a lobster. Has anyone ever seen one? It was about 2 inches long and was found in the shallow part of a stream. I bet Uncle Rick knows...

IMG_0370.jpg

very funny. But, I think it was discussed.

If we had been lost in the woods for weeks, we would have, before considering the children.

Very odd indeed. Any reason you posted this in the Dixie Diver forum? You should post this in the Marine Life forum, they've been very helpful in identifying some of my mystery creatures.

well, it was found in Dixie, and it is not a marine animal. Or am I wrong?

I thought maybe hunters or outdoorsmen would know....but I could.

Looks like a super louse (were you near any nuclear plants?)
Then again... with all the in-breeding in these parts... could be almost anything... :wink:

And... Happy Near Year!:drunks:

It appears that you found a Southern Mole Cricket Scapteriscus borcllia Giglio-Tos and took a picture of his belly. Just be glad that him and a bunch of his siblings were not in your lawn.

I was thinking mole-cricket myself, but I am not totally sure. Back when I was in highschool, they completely dessimated our entire practice field in like a week.

I'm not sure what that thing is, but I don't think it is a mole cricket. 2 inches is about an inch too big for any mole cricket I have ever seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom