Freezing in my 7 mil suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly fairly shallow dives, less than 50 ft but the next 2 weekends we'll be diving around 75 ft. Never dove dry and would in a heartbeat if I had the budget for it. My thought for wearing my surf suit under my 7 mil was the same as a hooded vest, just limiting that water circulation until I could afford a semi dry. Ill try the warm water in the suit before the dive though, thanks for the comments so far

Mostly fairly shallow dives, less than 50 ft but the next 2 weekends we'll be diving around 75 ft. Never dove dry and would in a heartbeat if I had the budget for it. My thought for wearing my surf suit under my 7 mil was the same as a hooded vest, just limiting that water circulation until I could afford a semi dry. Ill try the warm water in the suit before the dive though, thanks for the comments so far

If a dry suit is not an option consider a custom wetsuit and thicker hood. JMJ in Torrance is a good place for custom wetsuits. Otter Bay makes custom hoods with 10 mm thickness. Anything you can do to reduce the water flow through the suit will help make it warmer. Also cover up between dives. You loose a lot of heat on the surface due to evaporation.

Using warm water before diving and/or peeing in the suit for warmth are actually counter productive and would cause great heat loss. The body is fooled into making the skin bores open up and allowing heat flow from body to outside. The body would also spend a great deal of energy warming up the water once it cooled down.

Dr. Jolie Bookspan has explained this matter in one of her publications. I am not sure of which one since I don't have my dive library with me now.

Buying a semi-dry will just push back the inevitable drysuit purchase....might as well save up that money and go dry as soon as you can.

FWIW, buying used is often a good option. I've bought both of my drysuits used and had good luck (granted, they leak now, but I've also worn them a ton). Keep your eye out on the classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc. Buying locally is obviously the best option as you can check it out before you buy it, but I've also bought online.

And a p-valve is a necessity :D

Fyi I tried on the double suits together.. :dork2: and I can't lower my arms! That options out

1st, take your suit to Teresa at Horizon Wetsuits Scuba Diving Surfing Jet Skiing Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking and have it fitted properly. That plus a 3mm hooded vest should, and does work for 100's of SoCal regulars.

But saying that, ligersandtions is right. Look for a used drysuit. ScubaBoard's classified or Craig's list will turn up a used drysuit at close to a new semidry number.

I don't use a P-valve in my drysuit - yet. But I am considering it.

I dive an 8/7 (good fitting) wetsuit in So Cal and 90% of the time I am toasty warm. I can think of 2 dives out of my last 50 that I was just plain cold and 4-5 more where I chilly and wish I had a dry suit.

It is a very borderline case in the typical mid 50's depending on how many dives a day you intend, how deep and personal tolerance to the cool water. Poor fitting wetsuits just will not cut it though.

+2 on ligersandtions's post. If you're freezing now, even a well fitting suit may only make you barely comfortable. Seriously consider going dry. I finally went dry just a couple of months ago. Wish I had done it sooner. I can entirely focus on the experience of diving without ever thinking about being cold. It's awesome.

Buying a semi-dry will just push back the inevitable drysuit purchase....might as well save up that money and go dry as soon as you can...

Using warm water before diving and/or peeing in the suit for warmth are actually counter productive and would cause great heat loss. The body is fooled into making the skin bores open up and allowing heat flow from body to outside. The body would also spend a great deal of energy warming up the water once it cooled down.

Dr. Jolie Bookspan has explained this matter in one of her publications. I am not sure of which one since I don't have my dive library with me now.

I suspect the good doctor is being misquoted. Putting warm water in a wetsuit is the principal on which warm water commercial suits are based. Any warming up before entering a cold environment gives you a heat reserve that slows down the speed at which you chill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom