Freezing in my 7 mil suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmyers24!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently diving with a 7 mm farmer john suit that isn't the best fit. A little loose in upper body/ shoulders and have been freezing! Mostly beach dives in So Cal with surface temps in upper 50s. Anyway I'm seriously considering a semi dry suit but wondering how many people piss in their semi drys? Seems like a bad idea but so does holding it. In the meantime, thinking about wearing my 3 mil surf suit under my 7 mil. Has anyone tried this?

How about a full dry with a p-valve? Surface temps in the 50's seem to beg going dry...

Peeing in a semi dry probably isn't the best idea, because from what I've been told, most who wear them only get wet up to about the elbows & knees. I guess you could always install a P-valve, like in a dry suit. There really wouldn't be much difference in that & a neoprene drysuit.

Currently diving with a 7 mm farmer john suit that isn't the best fit. A little loose in upper body/ shoulders and have been freezing! Mostly beach dives in So Cal with surface temps in upper 50s. Anyway I'm seriously considering a semi dry suit but wondering how many people piss in their semi drys? Seems like a bad idea but so does holding it. In the meantime, thinking about wearing my 3 mil surf suit under my 7 mil. Has anyone tried this?

1. Wearing a 3mm suit under a 7mm isn't practical or comfortable IMO. I wear a 0.5mm shorty sometimes and it is OK but not any thicker.

2. If that is the usual water temp in your area, go for a dry suit and you will never regret it.

3. If you have to go, you have to go but in a semi dry it is going to be messy and smelly.

Last edited:
Just get your local custom wetsuit mob install a zipper in the Wang region. Or just go to the toilet before you dive?

I use a 2mm hooded vest under my wet suit top. It reduces water flow at the neck and gives me 2mm more insulation. I also use a framer style suit so with the vest I have 14mm around my torso. The water was 45F on my last dive and was one hour duration. I got chilly towards the end. Now until the spring I'll be diving dry.

Drysuit + Pee valve = comfort on multiple levels

PLUS you'll be able to stay properly hydrated. If you don't have to pee during a dive chances are you aren't.

Can the BARE next gen get a pee valve? What does that effort entail? I don't think it's necessary, just curious. Diving for 45 minutes I can hold it in.

a 7 mm that fits you may be a good idea
or as was said-take up the slack with a chicken vest/hood combo
2mm socks under booties and warm gloves
pre load your suit with a gallon of warm water first so your body doesnt have to warm up the cold sea water
works for us and our students doing check-outs
'cept sometimes for the really skinny gurls!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

How deep are you diving?

I wear custom 7mm farmer with a no-zip pull over jacket in Northern California and am very comfortable for long dives down to 40-50'. I get cold easily and just turned 60. Deeper than that, suit compression takes its toll on insulation. When it comes to wetsuits, limiting water circulation and water film thickness are critical — far more than suit thickness or added layers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom