What mil should my first wetsuit be (midwest US)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would highly recommend a drysuit. that's the route all of us cold water divers eventually have to take. like @Marie13 said you can get drysuit certified concurrently with your OW.
Only if the shop offers it. Drysuit rental availability can be iffy from what I hear.

I'm in TX, and I dive either 5mm or no wetsuit usually. Any further north, and definitely 7mm. Maybe even layering, with some wetsuit shorts or hooded-vest underneath. Even during mid-summer, when water-temperatures are 80+ at the surface, down at 60ft it's still cold.

It might be worth checking craigslist for used ones, obviously in your size.

If I get too warm in a wetsuit, I "flush" the wetsuit, by repeatedly opening the neck of the wetsuit to let water in/out.

If you get the wetsuit shorts + hooded vest, you could still use those in a warmer climate, if 7mm is excessive.

Rent for a while until you know this is something you want to do long term. There's all kinds of equipment for sale on craigslist or ebay from people who were really excited to get into scuba, dove a few times, then moved on to another hobby. You will take a bath on selling used dive equipment. Give it at least 10 dives before you buy anything major.

I dove a bunch in the midwest in 7mm jumpsuit and was very comfortable in that. 75ft+ and temps in the upper 30s at times and still good for a couple of dives. When I went to the great lakes for the first time I decided to go dry. The best wrecks can be deeper and I didn't want to have to bail on a dive after driving all that way and the expense of the charter, so I got drysuit certified and rented a suit. After that trip I decided to go dry for all my cold water diving.

Diving dry is more comfortable. Not just warmer, which it can be depending on your undergarment, but more comfortable. After a 45min dive in a 7mm wetsuit I'm pretty ready for the surface interval. In a drysuit I feel like I could stay down all day.

I also find it easier to dive dry than in a 7mm wetsuit, but maybe that's just me. My class was done in a rental that was way too big, and that was miserable, but in a proper fitting drysuit I think it's easier to get into and maintain proper trim once you get used to it. It does take a couple of dives to get the hang of it.

TLDR... Rent until you're sure you're going to be diving regularly and try drysuit... at least do the cert course. If you're set on diving wet, in the great lakes... at least 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom