Freeport Bahamas diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a search and came up with nothing so if anyone can give me some info on diving in Freeport, Bahamas I'd appreciate it? Noticed that the water temp for February is 72*-75* F, which I think is cold.Travel agent said there is a special to Windham's Viva Fortuna Hotel, they have a dive op on site. I've never heared of diving in this area so I don't know if it's worth looking into. Any help would be appreciated.

pilot fish:
Did a search and came up with nothing so if anyone can give me some info on diving in Freeport, Bahamas I'd appreciate it? Noticed that the water temp for February is 72*-75* F, which I think is cold.Travel agent said there is a special to Windham's Viva Fortuna Hotel, they have a dive op on site. I've never heared of diving in this area so I don't know if it's worth looking into. Any help would be appreciated.

The diving on Grand Bahama is definitely worth doing. Theo's and Duncan's wrecks are both fairly easy wreck dives. I also enjoyed Tunnels and Dolphin reefs. Grand Bahama also offers some cavern diving. Ben's cavern, Mermaid's lair and Owl hole are all nice carverns dives.

bikefox:
The diving on Grand Bahama is definitely worth doing. Theo's and Duncan's wrecks are both fairly easy wreck dives. I also enjoyed Tunnels and Dolphin reefs. Grand Bahama also offers some cavern diving. Ben's cavern, Mermaid's lair and Owl hole are all nice carverns dives.

Thanks. Grand Bahama is Freeport? Do you know that hotel or that area?

I laugh every time I hear "Viva Fortuna" It's just that we spent a week there a few
years ago with friends and it was "one of those trips" Lots of good memories, but mostly because we had a good attitude. Our experience with "Viva Fortuna" was ok but not great. We wouldn't go back.

Now, the diving is real good but NOT with Viva. Dive with Fred Riger at Grand Bahama SCUBA. He has a small operation with no crowds, GREAT personal service, no BS. After diving with Fred one time I would consider him a lifelong friend.

I was buzzed by a boat from another operator (a very popular one) straight over my head while on a safety stop. I know that "happens" sometimes but it tells me a little about professionalism.

Not the prettiest island to visit. I'll go back for the diving not the island.

Peace,
Patrick

I did the AquaCat live aboard last January 21-28 out of Nassau (a little further south of Grand Bahama). We would have been happy to have water temps in the 72-75F range. They were more like 65-70F. We wore 5mm fullsuits and hooded vests but wished we had brought our drysuits. I'm sure if we were doing two dives a day it wouldn't have been so bad but after four it caught up to you.

Pondfrog:
I laugh every time I hear "Viva Fortuna" It's just that we spent a week there a few
years ago with friends and it was "one of those trips" Lots of good memories, but mostly because we had a good attitude. Our experience with "Viva Fortuna" was ok but not great. We wouldn't go back.

Now, the diving is real good but NOT with Viva. Dive with Fred Riger at Grand Bahama SCUBA. He has a small operation with no crowds, GREAT personal service, no BS. After diving with Fred one time I would consider him a lifelong friend.

I was buzzed by a boat from another operator (a very popular one) straight over my head while on a safety stop. I know that "happens" sometimes but it tells me a little about professionalism.

Not the prettiest island to visit. I'll go back for the diving not the island.

Peace,
Patrick

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I'd pass on it. Think I'll go back to Coz.

miesemer:
I did the AquaCat live aboard last January 21-28 out of Nassau (a little further south of Grand Bahama). We would have been happy to have water temps in the 72-75F range. They were more like 65-70F. We wore 5mm fullsuits and hooded vests but wished we had brought our drysuits. I'm sure if we were doing two dives a day it wouldn't have been so bad but after four it caught up to you.

yikes! That's cold! Forget that. Thanks.

Another vote for Grand Bahama Scuba

Fred and Melinda are great to dive with!!

I've been told that the water never drops below 70f

I usually go at the end of October. At that time of year the water is about 82f. Daytime highs in the 80's, nights in the 70's. Beautiful!!

There is definately some great diving there. The sites are new as the Hurricanes moved things around. Theo's has moved but not changed. Duncans is twisted and shoved up against a ridge. The middle has collapsed. The previous time I saw it, it was upright and intact on a flat bottom. It's a much cooler dive than it used to be. Badger moved 400 yrds!! Leaving a trail of parts on the way.

Maybe save Grand Bahama for a trip later in the year!!

Best of luck!! :D

PS It's hard to believe that nothing came up in a search. I have several trip reports and have contributed to lots of threads about diving Grand Bahama Island.

Tavi:
Another vote for Grand Bahama Scuba

Fred and Melinda are great to dive with!!

I've been told that the water never drops below 70f

I usually go at the end of October. At that time of year the water is about 82f. Daytime highs in the 80's, nights in the 70's. Beautiful!!

There is definately some great diving there. The sites are new as the Hurricanes moved things around. Theo's has moved but not changed. Duncans is twisted and shoved up against a ridge. The middle has collapsed. The previous time I saw it, it was upright and intact on a flat bottom. It's a much cooler dive than it used to be. Badger moved 400 yrds!! Leaving a trail of parts on the way.

Maybe save Grand Bahama for a trip later in the year!!

Best of luck!! :D

PS It's hard to believe that nothing came up in a search. I have several trip reports and have contributed to lots of threads about diving Grand Bahama Island.

Yes, will think about it at the end of the year, oct or so, when water warms up. Do you know anything about Fortuna Hotel or their Dive op?

I hit search and entered Bahamas and Freeport but got nothing, as I recall. Scant info on Bahamas. It's very possible I'm not searching correctly?

The water warms up in May!! June would be better though.

a search on "Grand Bahama" yields 324 results.

I haven't heard anything good about that resort or the dive operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom