Freeport vs Bimini - Cruise Diving Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping to do some Key West cruise dives this winter. But, I've heard that KW is actively in the process of limiting ships in port and that diverted ships are heading toward the Bahamas. Please let us know where you go and how it went.

Sure, I'll post an update here. Hopefully it's with good news!

Well we did our dive a week or two ago, in Bimini with Neal Watson. Although they don’t offer transportation to and from the cruise terminal, we walked out into town and easily got a cab. We also got the business card for the cabbie, and Neal Watson let us use their phone to call him after the dive. No issues getting back to the boat.

As for the diving, it was ok. Not the best diving I’ve done, but our group was large and it was probably the best way to spend the day at port. Overall, our cruise ship lacked really any interesting shore excursions so it was still good.

We went to the USS Sapona, a historic wreck with a max depth of about 20 feet. From the historic perspective it was an interesting wreck, although from a diving perspective it doesn’t hold a candle to wreck diving is south Florida. The other dive we did was a shark dive, max depth about 30 feet.

They limited us to around 40 minutes per dive. Overall it was fine, certainly not the best diving or charter experience I’ve ever had, but by no means bad.

Back
Top Bottom