Freeflow at 140'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Betail:
I am in the process of setting up doubles and planning on a NITROX class. Doubles would not have helped me here though unless I had an H rig with redundat regulators.

The way that doubles work (at least the standard isolation manifold doubles), when you shut down a post you cut off gas flow to that first stage and the second stage that runs to it, but you can still access all your gas through the other reg / other post. You could have shut down your right post, gone to your backup reg on your left post, then swapped back to your primary/right post after the reg thawed.

You can prevention try H-valve place two first stages on a single tank where one regulator may be shut down the reg as your scenario but still allowing access to the air supply via the second regulator, can be used as either DIN or yoke. DIN valves more common in the technical diving community and allow for a more secure fitting and reduced risk of o-ring failure.

I was planning a second dive and didn't want to go to the pony if I didn't have to. I figuured if the primary didn't get me to the deco tanks, I would go to the pony.

AIR, I never planned to go deeper than 140. I plan to take a NITROX class this fall and follow up with the mixed gas classes later. Upgrading my gear for deeper dives over the next couple of years.

TSandM:
The bubbles are very loud and distracting, and interfere with your vision. In addition, the freeflow will bleed your tank down to where you have to have a viz on it before you can get it filled again. Why do that/.

My DA Aquamaster double hose reg is located betweeen my shoulder blades so there are no bubbles in my eyes. Come to think of it I guess it could not have freeflowed under similar circumstances. I guess that vintage diving may not be as risky as I have been told. Hmm.....
Good job coming up safely, glad you handled it well.

Thanks Lloyd!

You have said I few times that you thought about having your buddy shut down your reg, can you not do it? Also there is no use trying to stop a free flow at the second stage 99% of the time it is froze at the first stage. If you would have switched to the pony shut the valve down for a few breaths there is a good chance it would have stopped.

Jason Ooi:
You can prevention try H-valve place two first stages on a single tank where one regulator may be shut down the reg as your scenario but still allowing access to the air supply via the second regulator, can be used as either DIN or yoke. DIN valves more common in the technical diving community and allow for a more secure fitting and reduced risk of o-ring failure.

Good suggestion Jason.

I like H valves when I am not diving doubles for precisely this reason. Easy to deal with for isolating the offending valve. BTW, a frozen first stage is not the only reason for a reg to free flow. Having two firsts enables you to fully isolate BOTH possible offenders.

In a real pinch, you can also do just that: KINK THE HOSE. I would replace it before my next dive, but like I said, it's useful in a real emergency.

BTW, what reg were you using?

Back
Top Bottom