Freedom Plate's Cousin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do those things mean? "More conservative"?
In addition to being lighter, it is narrower. FP = 11 inches at the widest, EZ = 9 inches at the widest. It is also a little less contoured at the waist so it lies flatter in an equipment or carry on bag.

Can you take a picture of the plate on your body (without the wing) so we can see the curvature and how it fits on the side of your body?

No, not of me, but I'll enlist one of my more fit offspring.
EZ Pak left.jpg
EZ Pak right.jpg
EZ Pak back.jpg

The ez pak looks significantly flatter than the freedom. Is it not contoured like the freedom?
It is but not quite as much. The reason being there is no rail, therefore it depends on roll control cushions to secure the tank and keep it from “teeter-tottering” top to bottom on the plate. I’m actually going to play with this a little and get as much curve (to the limit) as I can before the plate high centers on the tank. The waist is curved and the edges are rolled just like the other plates.
Still way better than the totally flat plates like all others.

thanks for the response. yea, i could see the butt end of an al80 hitting someone if they are on the shorter side. maybe bolt on delrin rails?

i could see the butt end of an al80 hitting someone if they are on the shorter side.
I'm on the short side (5'8") and did not feel any need to put any standoffs between the tank and plate. As noted previously, I removed the top anti-roll tubes from my wing, and left the lower ones in place.

I have to say these are still in the testing phase.

If you are in need of another “tester” count me in. We will be diving Bonaire and Grand Cayman in the next few months. I will easily log 40 to 50 hours. Plate looks great by the way!

So, this is what I'm leaning toward trying, of course if you wan't a beta tester at Truk let me know ;}
I have a few of these laying around, doubles spacers, also made on from an old SS buckle once.
41142404965_272d7fff35_c.jpg

41322474194_6822ef09fa_c.jpg

41142400185_e85a2f9938_c.jpg

28169357498_867296d06e_c.jpg

41322472054_507203ecc3_c.jpg
42042750201_334fa3b4cc_c.jpg
27172365087_5478ef3794_c.jpg

I guess I've hijacked the thread somewhat...

And of course if you need a petite female beta tester I am at your service :thumb2:

At 5’2” I too had conerns that my rear half might get in the way.

thanks for the response. yea, i could see the butt end of an al80 hitting someone if they are on the shorter side. maybe bolt on delrin rails?
Yeah, but like I said, people dive all the other flat plates out there like doubles plates (converted to singles), the VDH Universal plate, DSS plates, the “ghost”, etc. and nobody ever complains that the plate sticks out too far up high and draws in too close down low causing the tank to hit them in the butt. And BTW, all flat plates will do this. At least with the EZ-Pak there is a curve and the narrowness of the top portion of the plate does allow it to sink in deeper in between the divers’ shoulder blades drawing the top of the tank in, so just that alone is better than a wide top plate with straps that come out of slots that are spaced far apart. The single point exit of the shoulder straps on all the FP models really does help to cinch the rig to your body better.
I’m still going to work on the contouring more to see the max limit I can curve it and still make it a single component set up.
I’m not opposed to figuring out some way to kick the bottom of the tank out for the ultimate fit, maybe all it needs is just a little tab welded on, but simplicity keeps cost down and weight too.
It’s too early to tell.

You know that I have not even had a chance to dive mine yet! Robert is the first person to use one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom