Freedom Plate's Cousin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
EZ-Pak

I’ve just returned from a week of diving with one of Eric’s latest creations, The EZ-Pak. The new kid is a cousin of my favorite single tank backplate we all know and love as The Freedom Plate. Like the FP it’s beautiful and well made. It differs as it is designed as a lower priced, light weight travel backplate (15 oz) for tropical single tank diving.

Initially, it was my intention to use my new toy for Double Hose diving. It does that well enough, but I would not call it optimal as getting the DH can in exactly the position I wanted proved difficult. I have a few DH diving friends who would say the difference is negligible. Admittedly, if I didn’t already own a backplate designed for Double Hose diving, I would not have noticed the small amount of difference. However, rather than changing backplates for the trip, I chose to change regulators to a single hose setup.

In addition to being lighter, the profile of the EZ-Pak is more conservative than a Freedom Plate. It fits comfortably in my carry on bag. Even with my 18 pound wing, harness, cam straps, pocket, light, SMB, and God knows what else attached, it has room to spare. One new detail included in the design is the harness slots arraignment. The new slot design eliminates the need for tri-glides to secure the webbing. As the EZ is made of aluminum, this nice feature keeps those damn stainless steel items off your new plate. Of course you’ll still need tri-glides for D-rings, but otherwise simply thread, route, and adjust the webbing (remember the extra cheeseburgers you’ve been having) and viola-done.

Diving with the EZ-Pak was a joy. Like its cousin, it fits nicely and comfortably on your back. The tank is very stable, and unlike a plate designed for double tanks, it does not require a single tank adapter (STA) or even a wing with anti-roll devices. I know, because I removed the roll control tubes from my wing for double hose diving. There are two sets of cam band slots just narrow enough to allow the plate/bands/wing it be secured together without use of sex bolts. It gets a little loose if you hang weight off of the bands like I do so, sorry Eric, I’m going to drill a couple of holes.

If you’ve always wanted a Freedom Plate but never got around to ordering one, now might be the time to get in line. Or….if you already have a FP but want something lighter and more compact; you’ll love the EZ-Pak….except for the name. I prefer “ZKY-Pak,” but you can’t have everything.

Well done Eric.

ez pak web routing.jpg
EZ Pak in open carryon.jpg

EZ Pak in open carryon 2.jpg

EZ Pak in closed carryon.jpg

EZ Pak in closed carryon 2.jpg

Last edited:
You have the harness threaded two different ways in the pictures. Was there a reason why you changed it?

You weren't supposed to notice that. :facepalm:

Yes, the top picture is the correct method. I thought I could get away with routing it the other way to ease the initial adjustment, but due to my old/worn/flexible webbing I incurred a little slippage.

The top way is the “locking” feature if someone wanted to use it that way. It keeps all stainless away from the aluminum and still provides a way to set the harness.
Before I get bombed with requests, I have to say these are still in the testing phase.
Robert is a tester.

They have no rail, they use the roll control cushions on wings to provide stability between the tank and plate.
Robert pulled the top cushions out to drop the top of the tank in for his double hose and just used the lower for stability. But just for regular use, both cushions can be left in which will hold the tank slightly away and stable. The lack of tank angle was the only thing concerning me but for what this plate is intended for, I think that effect is negligable.
I’m going to try and keep the cost down on these to almost half of a conventional Contour, but we’ll see what water jet or laser costs run.

*Add: This plate was designed primarily around the VDH 18 wing, but any other similar wings will work provided that the slots line up.

Last edited:
Interesting but now you have me thinking of trying my stainless one without the rails to see how it works. Heading to Truk in a few weeks and decided the FP was what I’m taking.

EZ-Pak

I’ve just returned from a week of diving with one of Eric’s latest creations, The EZ-Pak. The new kid is a cousin of my favorite single tank backplate we all know and love as The Freedom Plate. Like the FP it’s beautiful and well made. It differs as it is designed as a lower priced, light weight travel backplate (15 oz) for tropical single tank diving.

Initially, it was my intention to use my new toy for Double Hose diving. It does that well enough, but I would not call it optimal as getting the DH can in exactly the position I wanted proved difficult. I have a few DH diving friends who would say the difference is negligible. Admittedly, if I didn’t already own a backplate designed for Double Hose diving, I would not have noticed the small amount of difference. However, rather than changing backplates for the trip, I chose to change regulators to a single hose setup.

In addition to being lighter, the profile of the EZ-Pak is more conservative than a Freedom Plate. Even with my 18 pound wing, harness, cam straps, pocket, light, SMB, and God knows what else attached, it has room to spare.

What do those things mean? "More conservative"? "Room to spare"?

I dived my Freedom Contour in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome. Other than saving me 3-ish pounds in my carry-on bag, what would be the difference with using the EZ-Pak instead?

I dived my Freedom Contour in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome. Other than saving me 3-ish pounds in my carry-on bag, what would be the difference with using the EZ-Pak instead?
Initial cost plus weight savings. They are a much simpler plate.
The regular stainless Contours are a premium, full featured plate with more curve top to bottom, more contouring, plus the rail system (tig welding and more materials-rods), and polished finish.
The EZ-Pak is an lightweight satin finish, single component plate that has no rail and is slightly less curved top to bottom (but still contoured). This was a compromise I decided to make (without a rail) to be able to set a straight tank on a curved plate using the roll control bars/cushions as spacers/bushings. The wing free floats and uses the torque of the cam bands to be “set” in place. Very simple but slightly more of a pain to set up. Simplicity was the objective here for manufacturing and for travel. It’s also a one-size-fits-all for now.

I figured most people would be using it with an aluminum 80 since that’s what 99% of tropical ops use.
80’s get light in the water so all or most of the downward force is non existant unlike big heavy negatively buoyant steel tanks. Therefore, kicking the bottom of the tank away is less needed for easy tropical dives using 80’s, the lightness of the bottom of the tank keeps the tank off the divers butt anyway.

The ez pak looks significantly flatter than the freedom. Is it not contoured like the freedom?

Interesting but now you have me thinking of trying my stainless one without the rails to see how it works. Heading to Truk in a few weeks and decided the FP was what I’m taking.
If you do that you will need to reverse the curve of the bottom of the plate by the crotch strap slot a little or the tank will hit the bottom of the plate on the edge. See the top pic of the EZ-Pak.
You will be able to shed about 1 lb. by leaving the rail off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom