Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many times has someone with an FP run into another diver on a boat or LOB diving with an FP?
What are the reactions from other divers on the boat, do they inquire or just have a blank stare?

I’ve get to run into another, but I’m also just getting to the necessary Empty Nest status that’ll allow the Mrs. and I to dive more than one or two weeks a year. However, when we do go out, every “first dive” of the trip has yielded a comment on the boat without exception. It falls into one of two types:
1. Person in rental gear - “What is that??” or,
2. Person in their own gear - “Holy <insert favorite expletive>…that is awesome! Where did you get it?!?”

Can’t wait till production starts again so it can stop the most frequent question tho’ - Mrs.: “When do I get my bling?” 😉

"If I ever want to get rid of it, I'll give it to you,"
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, I'm going to go wearing mine

I’m also just getting to the necessary Empty Nest status that’ll allow the Mrs. and I to dive more than once or two weeks a year.
I just couldn't imagine what I consider to be such a sacrifice, all of you children people are superhumans

I cut a daunting figure always solo with boats full of strangers fast morning trips people don't talk to me

The crews like it, we like it, I like it the most.

My new to me lite stainless Freedom Plate. Spent 6 hours turning a non polished scratched up plate into a mirror. Got her all setup and ready to dive, can't wait! Thanks lexvil for hooking me up with it!

Attachments

• 20211227_141432 (2).jpg
    20211227_141432 (2).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 20211227_141513 (2).jpg
    20211227_141513 (2).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 20211227_141815 (2).jpg
    20211227_141815 (2).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 153
3) I'm also very excited to be the first to receive a S/S wedge! The additional weight brings it pretty close to the the weight of my other plate, and the fact that it adds it more toward the bottom of the plate is wonderful, as I have somewhat floaty feet. Granted, the plate doesn't extend down my back as far as my other one, but I don't think that will be that big of a deal. I won't be able to tell how it feels with a tank on until I get in the water, but I can certainly see the benefits of having the tank slightly kicked out.
What do people use for padding on the wedges? That hose(?) looks nice in the picture, but I'm not sure what is needed to keep on the wedge.

The back story is that I don't have a wedge on my FP, but my wife's will (if Canada Customs relinquishes it), and I'm wondering how hard this is on the paint of rental tanks.

The fuel line is cheap insurance against scratches, but I removed it thinking it might end up sliding off eventually while shuffling gear around. The wedge is somewhat rounded and smooth where it makes contact with the tank, and has not created wear marks on painted tanks.
This is with local shore diving, setting up gear on site and walking into the water. Perhaps my experience would be different if the plate and wedge was strapped to tank and then bounced around on a boat or such.

09940C6B-F6C7-4B5A-9699-8C72368D941B.jpeg
472E8EA6-E644-4E7D-B249-23CC4BD83496.jpeg
F17D60DA-114F-44ED-9C5B-23E3B0C0FFEF.jpeg

This is my stainless steel plate, #142. It has a wedge on the back mounted by two bolts in a non standard spacing, hence the zip ties holding the wing in place. I think it predates the carriage bolts at 11” spacing. I use 2 1 pound weights in the upper cam band trim pockets, 2 3 pound weights in the waist pockets, and I am appropriately weighted for an HP 100 in fresh water in a trilaminate drysuit and an old DUI snowsuit undergarment.

Two freedom plates took their maiden voyage, nice warm Grand Cayman! My rig is using a dive rite translate harness and a vintage double hose argonaut 35lbs wing (all lead is on cam band straps). Other rig is using the smaller DGX gears wing. Great setups for warm water tropical diving!
F1B24161-5144-4914-AEFA-4702A0B92DB4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom