Freedom Plate / Deep 6 wing compatibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BalekFekete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone set up a BP/W using a Freedom Plate and a wing from Deep 6? I have the former - size medium - in the mail right now and am in the market for a wing. While I'm leaning towards the recommended VDH wing, I'm also a fanboi here of Deep6. If it's compatible and someone has made it work without the additional rails, the 30# wing (when back in stock) is tempting me...

Thanks!

Nope, but I just ordered a VDH wing on Tuesday.

All you really need is for the holes to line up, right? I just measured my freedom plate with a caliper, they're 11 inches apart.

Not an exact match but I have a HOG 23 wing on a Freedom plate with only cam bands and no other sta or rails and it works well. The slots just line up so if the Deep 6 is at all similar to the HOG then it might work.

My Freedom plate is pretty small (is it a small size?) and I can't see using my 30# wing on it. Haven't tried it yet and probably won't be.

My VDH wing came in today (ordered 6:17pm Tuesday, delivered 10:30am Thursday). Here's some photos of the wing mounted on a steel freedom plate.

Maybe @cerich or @Deep Six or @Deep6Gear can share the bolt spacing on their wings.

Deep6 wings do appear to have a replaceable bladder, but I don't see bladders for sale on the website.

I measured my diverite plates/wings and the holes are 8" (actually there's a slot so anywhere from 7.75"-8.25" wings will fit). Quite a bit smaller span than the 11" VDH plates or Freedom plates. Frustrating that something which isn't standardized does not appear in the "tech info" section on gear websites...

Attachments

• wing3.jpg
    wing3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 128
  • wing4.jpg
    wing4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 138
  • wing2.jpg
    wing2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 128
  • wing1.jpg
    wing1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 133
I’ve seen the combo on a dive trip

You only need two holes to attach the wing. If they aren't in the right place you can drill new ones.....but I suspect you won't need to as most plates have multiple holes already and the wings have more than 2 places to put bolts.

I just mounted a 20lb Deep 6 wing to my new FP. It is a bit bigger than the 18lb VDH. Well, you mention the 30lb Deep 6 so size isn't a deal.

I really like the finish of the Deep 6. It is smooth and clean feeling. It has the lift handle that I am sure your know about. One nice thing about the D6 wing is that the roll control velcros into place. This add a bit of height to the roll control to make room for the sex bolts or other bolts if you intend to mount the wing in that manner.

I live the VHD size and I love the D6 finish. (Between my son and me, I have both.) My dream wing would combine those features.

You only need two holes to attach the wing. If they aren't in the right place you can drill new ones.....but I suspect you won't need to as most plates have multiple holes already and the wings have more than 2 places to put bolts.
True, but it would be almost unthinkable to drill a hole in a freedom plate. Especially if you only have handheld drills and no drill press. Freedom plates are as much a piece of art as they are a piece of functional dive gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom