Freedom Plate / Deep 6 wing compatibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You actually don’t need to bolt the wing to the plate if you don't want to.
The tiny 1/4” stainless carriage bolts that I include are really only to make it convenient to set up so the wing doesn’t flop and slip around while you’re trying to get a tank cam banded on. Once the tank cam bands are cinched and locked down the whole rig should be rock solid. Leaving the wing unattached from the plate does give you some adjustment room to pull the wing up or down and move the tank up or down and not be married to essentially two positions on the plate like if you were to always bolt the wing on.
Also, for those of you who have ordered your plates with wedges, you can clearly see what the intention was behind the design. It helps kick the bottom of the tank out, but it also gives the middle of the plate some relief from being forced to want to bend straight under the pressure of cam bands when the wing does not have top and bottom roll cushions. The wedge would normally bolt on over the wing so the tank rides right on the cushioned edges of the wedge, but you can also bolt the wedge directly to the plate then put the wing over the wedge if you wish, and that way you still have infinite up and down adjustment of the wing and tank because the wing is free and not attached to the plate. If you do that then pull off the fuel line cushions on the wedge since the wing panel will provide some cushioning for the tank at that point. This is also a great way to make many other wings work as well that maybe have slots but not in the right places if the wing is bolted to the plate.
On wings like Hog I strongly recommend using the wedge because of the full length top to bottom roll control strips they use. The tank WILL high center on the plate without using a wedge.

The curve of the freedom plate has always presented challenges in mounting something straight ( like the tank) onto a curved surface (like the plate). The split roll control cushions on any Oxycheq or VDH style wing, or using the wedge, or both, make this possible. And yes, the rail too.
Thanks for reading.

You only need two holes to attach the wing. If they aren't in the right place you can drill new ones.....but I suspect you won't need to as most plates have multiple holes already and the wings have more than 2 places to put bolts.
Don’t drill holes in the plate, put new holes in the wing panel if you need to with a hot Phillips screw driver.

@BalekFekete The wing spacing is standardized (somewhat) in the industry. If the freedom plate is a typical 11" on center it should work.

@BalekFekete The wing spacing is standardized (somewhat) in the industry. If the freedom plate is a typical 11" on center it should work.
Freedom plate is indeed 11". I assumed it was the outlier, as I've got 4 other plates and every one of those is 8" (2x diverite, 1x apeks, 1x generic $15 plate).

You actually don’t need to bolt the wing to the plate if you don't want to.
The tiny 1/4” stainless carriage bolts that I include are really only to make it convenient to set up so the wing doesn’t flop and slip around while you’re trying to get a tank cam banded on. Once the tank cam bands are cinched and locked down the whole rig should be rock solid. Leaving the wing unattached from the plate does give you some adjustment room to pull the wing up or down and move the tank up or down and not be married to essentially two positions on the plate like if you were to always bolt the wing on.
Also, for those of you who have ordered your plates with wedges, you can clearly see what the intention was behind the design. It helps kick the bottom of the tank out, but it also gives the middle of the plate some relief from being forced to want to bend straight under the pressure of cam bands when the wing does not have top and bottom roll cushions. The wedge would normally bolt on over the wing so the tank rides right on the cushioned edges of the wedge, but you can also bolt the wedge directly to the plate then put the wing over the wedge if you wish, and that way you still have infinite up and down adjustment of the wing and tank because the wing is free and not attached to the plate. If you do that then pull off the fuel line cushions on the wedge since the wing panel will provide some cushioning for the tank at that point. This is also a great way to make many other wings work as well that maybe have slots but not in the right places if the wing is bolted to the plate.
On wings like Hog I strongly recommend using the wedge because of the full length top to bottom roll control strips they use. The tank WILL high center on the plate without using a wedge.

The curve of the freedom plate has always presented challenges in mounting something straight ( like the tank) onto a curved surface (like the plate). The split roll control cushions on any Oxycheq or VDH style wing, or using the wedge, or both, make this possible. And yes, the rail too.
Thanks for reading.

Any chance you will fabricobble an aluminum wedge? I got one with my steel freedom plate, but not with the alu.

Any chance you will fabricobble an aluminum wedge? I got one with my steel freedom plate, but not with the alu.
I have a stainless wedge available for the stainless plate, and you can move the aluminum wedge to the aluminum plate.

The medium and large FP’s are 11” center holes, and the small is 9.5” center holes. The reason for the shorter hole spacing on the small is because there isn’t room. VDH and Oxycheq wings have 9.5” center hole options. I don’t know about other wings.

I just looked at the Deep Six site and the wing.
From what I see, the center roll control device will cause the plate to be high centered on the tank. It could be made to work but I recommend using the wedge on the bottom hole to fill the void left by the curvature of the plate. I’d leave out the top attachment screw since it might dig into the tank, plus there would be no need for the top bolt since the wing would already be attached on the bottom with the wedge so It would not slip around up or down. It may slide around side to side on top but the cam bands should center it up fairly well when they are torqued. A little tug either way during set up and it will be fine.
Other than that it looks like a very nice wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom