Question Freediving with a peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all.

I would like a computer that I can use for both activities (scuba-apnea/spearfishing) now i know the peregrine does not have this mode, but I'm curious what kinds of information
You get in this mode on computers that have apnea/spearfishing?
Ps: I opened this question because I found a peregrine used at good price and I'm considering between the peregrine Vs Suunto novo or the acqualung 330r

Hoping you didn't end up getting a Peregrine for apnea; Shearwater is a great dive computer company, I own two of their computers and am very happy with them... BUT guage mode would be no substitute for what an apnea specific computer will tell you, even a pretty cheap one...
Little details also make a big difference (a few things I particularly like about my mantis M1 is it will beep when dive interval is adequate to dive again, which is really nice since I can fully focus on breath up instead of looking at numbers; it updated depth much more rapidly than necessary for scuba; visually/audio it can provide what I care about most, ie the focus is on time and depth as opposed to focus on ascent rate and depth/NDL/gas pressure; I really liked being more aware of my heart rate, until the heart rate monitor battery died; and a wristwatch firm factor more than adequate for free diving...).
Also since you specifically said spearfishing, you should have something that will beep at you when it's time to go back up even more than CWT apnea (fish have a way of extending a dive beyond what you otherwise would, and never shoot at a fish shortly before you need to head back up...). Granted, listening to your body is most important so you can do a ton of spearfishing free of a computer, but I do find an apnea computer helps my training a lot (especially little things like being more accurate in translation of kick cycles to depth and objectively quantifying my progress or lack thereof...).

I use a mares smart. It’s basic but has everything you need for freediving, recreational scuba, it even does 2 gas nitrox for entry level tech diving (not that I would recommend it for that). I did nearly 200 freediving + scuba sessions on mine before dropping it, and I went out and bought another one.

Back
Top Bottom