Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised, it actually goes deeper into the physiology of diving than I would have expected and there was even a section calculating SAC rate and using it for (very rudimentary) gas planning.

how they get around the "hands on" part.

There's allegedly an agency where this isn't required (WRSTC member). I was shocked to hear this, but given that I haven't looked at this particular agency's standards, I won't name them. This was according to a contact who wanted to offer nitrox classes over the internet through the agency. I asked him about the hands on part and he said it wasn't required.

Analyzing/labeling cylinders is such an important part of the class.

Nitrox card without a hands-on class? Really bad idea.
Online does not inherently means that there is no hands on part.
At the University I teach Environmental Applied Physics, and my course contains a number of practical activities, involving a lot of physical measurements.
These include using thermometers (dry and wet bulb), barometers, sound level meters, luxmeters, vibrometers, anemometers, indoor air quality meters, and so on.
This year all the courses are online, as the classrooms are closed due to Covid19.
So I organized a number of interactive classrooms using MS Teams, where I show how to use professional measuring instruments, and I ask each student to repeat the measurement using consumer-grade instruments they have at home, or simply their smartphones (these devices have a lot of sensors nowadays).
So I expect more or less the same in an online Nitrox course...

I know, I'm the crazy person here, and my comments here will likely cause innumerable deaths, and previously unforeseen birth defects for decades to come.

That disclaimer out of the way: do people seriously think you need hands on to learn how to turn on an analyzer and write your initials and a number on a tank?

I'm brand new to nitrox. Literally don't have my card in the mail yet. The shop I got certified at had two analyzers, each slightly different in use. They also have a rack of air tanks waiting for fills you use to calibrate before use. The next shop I went to had a different analyzer, and you calibrate to free air.

Point is, what I learned in my hands on is of limited value if I don't have that specific analyzer available. IMO, it's no different than my online nitrox class teaching "use your computer. If you don't know how to, ask your instructor or the dive master."

Instead of hands on, "use the analyzer. If it don't know how to, ask the shop."

I literally see no difference here. But again, I understand I'm trying to destroy the world with these heretical statements.

(Obviously the "how to analyze" would be more in depth online, but the point carries)

In SSI's Science of Diving book the section on decompression theory is very basic and contains typos, misleading statements and errors. For example on page 3-6 it reads, "As a diver ascends, the process of desaturation begins. The partial pressure of the gasses in the aveolar air drops, as atmospheric pressure decreases .....". Atmospheric should be ambient. On page 3-13 under the section Dive Computers it reads, "....the computer calculates theoretical absorption at slower rates when the diver is shallow, and at faster rates when the diver is deeper." This is simplistic and misleading. On the same page we have this, "Going deep, then shallow, then deep again will yield unreliable results." This is plain wrong. Under the same section we have this gem on page 3-14, "...if a diver dives improperly the computer will calculate improperly...". This is just plain wrong.

The other sections on diving physics, diving physiology, the components of the total diving system and accessory equipment, and the aquatic environment are good. IMO, the person who wrote the section on decompression has no understanding of decompression algorithms. For decompression science get Powell's "Deco for Divers" or study the papers by Erik Baker, P.E..

On the same page we have this, "Going deep, then shallow, then deep again will yield unreliable results." This is plain wrong. Under the same section we have this gem on page 3-14, "...if a diver dives improperly the computer will calculate improperly...". This is just plain wrong.
That bit did stand out to me as being misleading. I wonder if it was written a while ago in the early days of computers.

I can forgive the overly simplistic coverage of decompression theory. This definitely isn't meant a deco manual.

Hello,

I own the dive center the OP has shared the Facebook image of and offering the deal.

In full context, SSI is offering the Science of Diving online class and certification free of charge from April 12 - June 30, 2020 to their dive centers (presumably all of them but I'm not 100% sure of that). As a dive agency is concerned, I'm very pleased SSI is offering this and am hopeful all my divers will take advantage of their generous offer. Any certified scuba diver can register through their local dive center, though it's possible your local center may have administrative or instructor fees. As I own the dive center and will be the instructor on record (and secretary, assistant, and pretty much everythign else you need), I can skip on this fees easy enough. I did originally advertise this on my Facebook page and in an email blast to my clients in my database, but I'd be happy to honor it for any certified diver that contacts me by email letsgodiving@saltyendeavors.com

As for the nitrox certification getting discussed without the practical, I won't get into the merits of it but merely rely the SSI requirements. SSi breaks their Enriched Air Nitrox class down into 2 parts. Part one is the theory. This can be completed 100% online. We can perform any instructor > student direct discussion through any number of video chatting apps. Upon completion the diver is certified to 32% nitrox. Once the diver arrives to any SSI dive center and completes the practical application and dive, the certification is upgraded to 40%. If you complete this upgrade with us in Cozumel the upgrade will be free of charge. If you do it at any other SSI dive center you will be subject to whatever fees they decide. It should be noted there is no need to upgrade to 40% unless you feel the need to use EAN36 or EAN40.

I hope everyone is doing as best they can given the situations. If you'd like to take a few hours and study some SSI Science of Diving in your downtime, give me a shout!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom