Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I own the dive center the OP has shared the Facebook image of and offering the deal.

In full context, SSI is offering the Science of Diving online class and certification free of charge from April 12 - June 30, 2020 to their dive centers (presumably all of them but I'm not 100% sure of that). As a dive agency is concerned, I'm very pleased SSI is offering this and am hopeful all my divers will take advantage of their generous offer. Any certified scuba diver can register through their local dive center, though it's possible your local center may have administrative or instructor fees. As I own the dive center and will be the instructor on record (and secretary, assistant, and pretty much everythign else you need), I can skip on this fees easy enough. I did originally advertise this on my Facebook page and in an email blast to my clients in my database, but I'd be happy to honor it for any certified diver that contacts me by email letsgodiving@saltyendeavors.com

As for the nitrox certification getting discussed without the practical, I won't get into the merits of it but merely rely the SSI requirements. SSi breaks their Enriched Air Nitrox class down into 2 parts. Part one is the theory. This can be completed 100% online. We can perform any instructor > student direct discussion through any number of video chatting apps. Upon completion the diver is certified to 32% nitrox. Once the diver arrives to any SSI dive center and completes the practical application and dive, the certification is upgraded to 40%. If you complete this upgrade with us in Cozumel the upgrade will be free of charge. If you do it at any other SSI dive center you will be subject to whatever fees they decide. It should be noted there is no need to upgrade to 40% unless you feel the need to use EAN36 or EAN40.

I hope everyone is doing as best they can given the situations. If you'd like to take a few hours and study some SSI Science of Diving in your downtime, give me a shout!

You also personally posted it to the Chicago Scuba Meetup FB and that’s actually where I originally saw it.

As for the nitrox certification getting discussed without the practical, I won't get into the merits of it but merely rely the SSI requirements. SSi breaks their Enriched Air Nitrox class down into 2 parts. Part one is the theory. This can be completed 100% online. We can perform any instructor > student direct discussion through any number of video chatting apps. Upon completion the diver is certified to 32% nitrox. Once the diver arrives to any SSI dive center and completes the practical application and dive, the certification is upgraded to 40%. If you complete this upgrade with us in Cozumel the upgrade will be free of charge. If you do it at any other SSI dive center you will be subject to whatever fees they decide. It should be noted there is no need to upgrade to 40% unless you feel the need to use EAN36 or EAN40.
Does a class certifying for 32% give you the tools you need to dive, say, 28%?

Hello,

I own the dive center the OP has shared the Facebook image of and offering the deal.

In full context, SSI is offering the Science of Diving online class and certification free of charge from April 12 - June 30, 2020 to their dive centers (presumably all of them but I'm not 100% sure of that). As a dive agency is concerned, I'm very pleased SSI is offering this and am hopeful all my divers will take advantage of their generous offer. Any certified scuba diver can register through their local dive center, though it's possible your local center may have administrative or instructor fees. As I own the dive center and will be the instructor on record (and secretary, assistant, and pretty much everythign else you need), I can skip on this fees easy enough. I did originally advertise this on my Facebook page and in an email blast to my clients in my database, but I'd be happy to honor it for any certified diver that contacts me by email letsgodiving@saltyendeavors.com

I hope everyone is doing as best they can given the situations. If you'd like to take a few hours and study some SSI Science of Diving in your downtime, give me a shout!

I wanted to take this course so I'm happy that you are passing this great opportunity down to us.

You also personally posted it to the Chicago Scuba Meetup FB and that’s actually where I originally saw it.

Born and raised in Palos Heights and graduated from St Rita and St Xavier :)

But yes it did get shared into other Facebook groups as well. Facebook just makes it too easy hahaha

Does a class certifying for 32% give you the tools you need to dive, say, 28%?

Only if you are in Bonaire on a free nitrox package :p

Hello,

Henry,
We all very much appreciate you offering this. As I mentioned earlier, even with SSI covering the actual course cost, there is plenty other work you're taking on and your generosity is much appreciated. In retrospect, I apologize for sharing this without asking first to such a large community. Hopefully plenty will take you up on the other offers you've made and help support your shop. I know if/when I make it down to Cozumel which dive shop I'll be sharing my business with.

Henry,
We all very much appreciate you offering this. As I mentioned earlier, even with SSI covering the actual course cost, there is plenty other work you're taking on and your generosity is much appreciated. In retrospect, I apologize for sharing this without asking first to such a large community. Hopefully plenty will take you up on the other offers you've made and help support your shop. I know if/when I make it down to Cozumel which dive shop I'll be sharing my business with.

No worries on the share. As I noted above, it did get bounced into a few Facebook groups as well. I just hope the divers read it and learn something. For the divers young in the sport it is a great class.

No worries on the share. As I noted above, it did get bounced into a few Facebook groups as well. I just hope the divers read it and learn something. For the divers young in the sport it is a great class.

Good class for us not so young also. You never stop learning.

I suspect you may be expecting a bit much...

Can't fix stupid. We have a "Darwin Crossing" here where every once in a while a person capable of getting into a university would step out into 4 lanes of traffic saying "State Law says they must stop". The part where the one who stops blocks the view of the other 3 lanes never seems to enter their mind.

So I expect Angelo will get one or two in his Applied Physics course eventually, too.

But the rest of us are capable of operating an O2 analyser after Reading The Fine Manual, no hands-on session required. I just didn't know SSI thinks so too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom