FREE Scuba Refresher, Equipment Check, & Boat Check for Mini Lobster Season - KEYS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our first annual Revive Your Dive in the Keys was a great success. We had 20 divers who took advantage of our FREE scuba diving refresher course this past weekend.
We'll be back next year bigger and better. Many thanks to Florida Keys Visitors Center, Atlantis Dive Center, Florida Keys Dive Center, Islanmorada Dive Center, and Conch Republic Dive center for providing instructors for the event. Also thanks to DAN for providing a DR. for the event. Also a shout out goes to ScubaBoard, Divers Direct, ScubaFit, and PADI for their support.

Most importantly if you are planning to dive this Lobster Mini-Season and it's been awhile since you've been in the water. Please refresh your skills and have your equipment checked out before hitting the water and of course be safe.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

It was a hot and fun couple of days! I got to meet some interesting people and quite a number of ScubaBoardians. You can count on me next year if I am in town!

I would also like to add to Capt Gary's caveat. Last year the headlines read "No One Died!" on the Friday after Mini Season. Wow. That was kind of shocking. However, it's very easy to stay safe and still enjoy mini season. If you are a infrequent diver (less than 20 dives a year), may I suggest the following:

• If you haven't dove in the last year, get a refresher done. Go ahead and pay for it. Your life is worth it.
  • Stick with commercial Dive Ops. There will be way too many amateur captains including Captain Morgan and Ensign Budweiser on the water already.
  • Speaking of Captain Morgan and Ensign Budweiser, please, please, please don't drink and dive or drive. Wait until you get back on dry land just to be safe.
  • Check your air supply BEFORE you go after each and every bug. They're patient and will gladly wait before you match wits with them.
  • Dive with a buddy. No, not an SOB (Same Ocean Buddy), but someone who can help you with catching. You'll have more fun, catch more bugs and have great stories to share right here on ScubaBoard.
  • Make sure you have a safety sausage, reel, whistle, knife (cutter) and a Nautilus Lifeline. It's your job to stay with 100 ft of a dive flag, but sometimes things just happen. Take a clue from the Boy Scouts and Be Prepared!
  • Make sure someone who cares about you knows your plans.
  • Make sure your license is up to date. FWC is out in force!
  • Make sure you understand the special rules in operation during mini-season! No, you probably can't lobster in a canal or from shore. That's especially true here in Monroe County. Obey the laws!

If you are driving a boat then may I also suggest the following.

• Take a safe boaters course.
  • When in doubt, POWER DOWN! You can only operate at idle (steerage) within 300 ft of a diver or swimmer. Don't accelerate to get out of the way, POWER DOWN!
  • Make sure to assign lookout duty to someone other than the captain.
  • Keep someone on the boat at all times. Make sure that they can operate the boat as well as the radio.
  • Check all safety equipment including life jackets, signalling devices, epirb (or Nautilus Lifeline), ropes etc.
  • Check the boat's power and drive units.
  • Check the boat and trailer's registration. You know our LEOs will be doing that. :D
  • Use common sense.
  • Watch where you anchor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom