FREE Scuba Refresher, Equipment Check, & Boat Check for Mini Lobster Season - KEYS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
RYDLogo_600.jpg

SATURDAY & SUNDAY

JULY 20 & 21, 2013
FREE Scuba Refresher Course
FREE Fitness to Dive Consultation
FREE Scuba Equipment Inspection
FREE Boat Voluntary Safety Check(VSC)

Participating Dive Shops
Atlantis Dive Center, Horizon Dive Center, Conch Republic Divers,
Florida Keys Dive Center, Islamorada Dive Center

Each year numerous divers get injured or even die during the Florida Lobster Mini-Season and first weeks of the regular season. Medical conditions (mostly cardiac events), poor diving procedures and techniques, and equipment problems are often factors in these needless accidents. Divers understand the need for scuba refresher training, health screens and equipment servicing but are often reluctant to pursue them due to the high costs and time associated with doing them.

REVIVE YOUR DIVE! is a free one-day event where divers receive services to make them more prepared for diving activities. Specifically, divers will receive the following:
•FREE Scuba Refresher Course - Gives proper scuba refresher training.
•FREE Fitness to Dive Consultation - A diver consultation as it relates to fitness to dive.
•FREE Equipment Inspection - Inspect diving equipment and identify problems before open water diving.
•FREE Voluntary Safety Check(VSC) - The USCG Aux will be on hand to provide cursory boat inspections

Where: Florida Keys Visitor Center click for map
When: Sunday July 20th & 21st, 2013 8:00am to 5:00pm
Cost: FREE*

Event Description
Participants will arrive at their selected "Group Time" at the Florida Keys Visitor Center. They will check-in themselves and their equipment at the registration table. Then, participants will proceed to the three event stations: Equipment Inspection, Fitness to Dive Consultation and Scuba Review. The Group duration is approximately 2.5 hours.​
Requirements

• Open Water Diver (or higher) certification from a national/international scuba training agency
  • Completed Medical Questionnaire
  • Actual certification card or official verification of certification printout from a national/international scuba training agency
Itinerary
Saturday or Sunday, July 20th & 21st, 2013:
GROUP 1 8:00AM start time.
GROUP 2 9:00AM start time.
GROUP 3 10:00AM start time.
GROUP 4 11:00AM start time.
GROUP 5 12:00PM start time.
GROUP 6 1:00PM start time.
GROUP 7 2:00PM start time.
GROUP 8 3:00PM start time.

Packing List
Mask, snorkel and fins
Scuba diving equipment - properly functioning with alternate air source, submersible pressure gauge and low pressure inflation on the BCD.
Medical Questionnaire completed and signed by a physician if neccessary (see below) Click to download the PADI Medical Questionnaire
Certification card(s)
Log book (if available)
Bathing suit
Rash guard (lycra) or wetsuit (for those who chill easily)
Towel
Sunscreen

Hat
Sunglasses
Water
Beverages and/or snacks

FAQs
Who can participate in Revive Your Dive!
Anyone with an Open Water Diver certification or higher may participate in the Revive Your Dive! event. You must provide proof of certification at both the online reservation and the on-site registration. If you have lost your c-card, you must obtain one or verification of certification PRIOR to the event. You may contact your certification agency or your certifying instructor to assist you in this process. Agencies include PADI, NAUI, YMCA, SSI, SDI, IDEA, PDIC, just to name a few.

What if is has been a really long time since I went scuba diving?
Then this event is perfect for you! If the Revive Your Dive! instructors think that you need additional training, they will recommend that to you. Most Open Water Diver scuba certifications do not expire, so this event is a great way to safely and under proper supervision get wet again and refresh your skills.

I can't find my certification card, how can I still participate?
You must provide proof of certification at both the online reservation and the on-site registration. If you have lost your c-card, prior to the event you must obtain a new card or a certificate verifying certification from a recognized national or international scuba training agency. You may contact your certification agency or your certifying instructor to assist you in this process. Agencies include PADI, NAUI, YMCA, SSI, SDI, IDEA, PDIC, just to name a few.

What equipment may I bring for the equipment inspection?
You may bring in your own personal scuba equipment for inspection. We ask that only one piece of equipment per kit be inspected (i.e. one B.C., one regulator, one cylinder, etc.) If your equipment is inspected and deemed appropriate to dive, then you may use it in the pool for the Scuba Review. All personal equipment will be inventoried upon entrance and exit. No spear-guns nor re-breathers please.

I have answered a YES on my Medical Questionnaire, do I really need a physicians signature?
Yes. If you answer "Yes" to any question on the PADI Medical History Questionnaire you must get a physician's signature for your approval to dive. Without a physician's signature, you will not be able to participate in the Scuba Review portion of event. It is imperative that you are accurate on your PADI Medical History Questionnaire.

RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW

Last edited:
Brilliant! Have you done this before? If so what was the turn out like?

We haven't done this in the Keys yet, but Revive Your Dive was started and has run in Ft Lauderdale for the past three years. They got a very good turnout for the event, averaging over 100 people for their one day event.

If we can help save just one life then it's a win for us. Please pass this on to anyone who you might know that will be coming down to the Keys for Mini Lobster Season. Quite often divers will come down the weekend before to scope out their sites and this is when our event will take place.

Hope lots take advantage of our offer. The shops involved are putting time and money in to helping with the worthy event.

Any questions we can answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards and God Bless,
Capt Gary

Last edited:
We haven't done this in the Keys yet, but Revive Your Dive was started and has run in Ft Lauderdale for the past three years. They got a very good turnout for the event, averaging over 100 people for their one day event.

If we can help save just one life then it's a win for us. Please pass this on to anyone who you might know that will be coming down to the Keys for Mini Lobster Season. Quite often divers will come down the weekend before to scope out their sites and this is when our event will take place.

Hope lots take advantage of our offer. The shops involved are putting time and money in to help with the worthy event.
Any questions we can answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards and God Bless,
Capt Gary

Great idea. I wish all the shops the best and pray for a large turnout.

I love it! Let me know if you need another instructor to help out!

Pete would love to have you and ScubaBoard there. Give me a call to get you put on the schedule.

Regards and God Bless,
Capt Gary

I love it! Let me know if you need another instructor to help out!

Perfect Pete! We would love to have you there!

From what I gather, I'll be manning the gear inspection table at the Key Largo Welcome center. I hope to see a lot of ScubaBoardians there, if only to say "hi!" and grab a couple of :sblogo: stickers.

From what I gather, I'll be manning the gear inspection table at the Key Largo Welcome center. I hope to see a lot of ScubaBoardians there, if only to say "hi!" and grab a couple of :sblogo: stickers.

can we come down just to get a sticker or two and say hi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom