Free Parts Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eliminator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had one of my regulators serviced at a local Oceanic dealer here in Canada and I had to pay for the parts. The regs were purchased from an authorized Oceanic dealer in the US and it was 12 months from the purchase date.

What's you policy on trans-border purchases and the free parts? I'm actually considering selling the regs now and buying another brand since it's going to cost me so much for parts over the next few years.

thanx

AKAIK the free parts only goes for the USA dealers,we don't have it overhere aswell :no:
But I'm just wondering,how much did you pay for the parts.:confused:
IMO labor take 3/4 of the total sevice costs.
Oceanic parts won't cost much more then US$30/35
Any other brand will charge the same for parts and labor will be about the same aswel.

we do have the free parts program in Canada, I do have several Oceanic regulators that I have purchased and serviced locally in the past.

my concern is with a couple of CDX5s firsts and a GT3 second that was purchased from the US from authorized dealers

Seems nobody can give me a straight answer on this no matter who I contact

aqualung, scubapro, diverite, just to name a few examples, has a trans CAN/US border free parts acknowlegment

Just want to hear what the official word is

I suspect the problem is that, in general, LDSs are independent businesses and may not be under any obligation to honor Mfgr (any scuba mfgr) warranties or incentive programs.

I suspect the problem is that, in general, LDSs are independent businesses and may not be under any obligation to honor Mfgr (any scuba mfgr) warranties or incentive programs.

How crazy is that. If something is under warranty then the manufacturer will cover the cost of the warranty not the LDS.

First, the free replacement parts program is not part of our warranty - it is a service program. I fine distinction, I know - but a distinction nonetheless. Our warranty covers materials and workmanship. Service programs, are provided at the discretion of the international distributor, and/or dealer. You may find dealers in the US where this program originated that don't participate.

How crazy is that. If something is under warranty then the manufacturer will cover the cost of the warranty not the LDS.

If you buy a vacuum cleaner at Home Depot, you probably have to go to a mfgr warranty service center, not Home Depot, for warranty claims. In a case like this, the LDS may or may not be able to perform the service, and they probably do not have to. If you look in your manual, you should find a list of factory service centers you may have to use.

If you buy a vacuum cleaner at Home Depot, you probably have to go to a mfgr warranty service center, not Home Depot, for warranty claims. In a case like this, the LDS may or may not be able to perform the service, and they probably do not have to. If you look in your manual, you should find a list of factory service centers you may have to use.

Yeah and many Authorized Retailers for scuba gear are also authorized service centers.

But this is a moot point as Doug has pointed out that this is a service program not a warranty.

Yeah and many Authorized Retailers for scuba gear are also authorized service centers.

But this is a moot point as Doug has pointed out that this is a service program not a warranty.

That is what he said - they are different. But what he did not say is that a shop that is an authorized dealer is required to provide warranty service or any service for that matter.

Unfortunately, there are a few shops (maybe even quite a few) that feel they need to punish divers who bought there gear "elsewhere" by denying them service (or charging them extra).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom