free flow at 47m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a 19 cuft pony on all dives between 30 and 150ft although I am aware that a pony wont do much good for those deeper dives. I have had a free flow before at 85ft but I controled it with the valve so I didn't need the pony anyway.

Usually I will breath the pony on deco or something inmaybe 1 in 15-20 dives to keep the air from getting old but otherwise I never use it.

stevewirl:
it is a horrible possition to put your buddy in . taking his gas espicaly if you hav deco to do .

Totally disagree.

If you have done proper gas planning for the dive it is a mild inconvenience,not a "horrible position"

Question for you. When I dive caves do you think I should always carry a bail out bottle rather than relying on my buddies gas to get me out if I have a failure??

stevewirl:
do many of you divers dive with a bail out system . what type ,how much , ?

I generally don't carry an extra bailout. When I dive a single tank, I usually dive shallower and/or use my buddy for backup. This is no deco diving.

When I dive doubles/twins, I don't carry a bailout since I usually rely on the fact that I have an isolator and can shut down valves to stop freeflows. When I dive under ice, I sometimes take a stage bottle to have triple redundancy since ALL the regs are simultaneously in an environment that is conducive to freeflows.

When I do gas planning for the dive, I carry enough redundant gas so that I could share air with a buddy all the way back to the surface after a limited number of failures.

for any covered enviorment this includes deco divin as an ascent is not an option . you sould always carry a reduncy / bail out system .

to rely on totally on your buddy is in my opinion not a proper plan / bail out .

if I dive with a rebreather . I always carry a side slung as a bail out . but the bail is generally depth dependant .

Im only trying to promote a bail out for divers as your first alternative and your buddy as a second and never to replace your buddy .

stevewirl:
for any covered enviorment this includes deco divin as an ascent is not an option . you sould always carry a reduncy / bail out system .

Disagree.

In some environments e.g zero viz sump dives typical of British cave diving then a bail out system would make sense. For florida cave dives it does not and is not taught by any agency that I am aware of.

If you are diving double 130's to thirds then you would actually need to carry 2 bail out bottles as you are using more than 80 CuFt of gas going in so a single 80 bailout is not enough.
I dont know of ANYBODY that would do a "straightforward" cave dive to 1/3 rds that would insist on taking 2 bailout tanks with them

:no im an irish diver not british :D in ireland we deal with litre cylinder sets filled in bar . imnot that fimilar with cuft sizes:confused: i hav been involved with cave exploration in ireland where we hav set a lead line and set a no. of sets along the lead line . this reduces the need to carry larger bail out sizes . The cave systems in ireland are not as vast as what i belive some cave systems are in the US .

depending on type of system and depth and penetration distance bail outs sould be in place for that circumstance . if 2 bail outs are required bring 3 . it sounds obscure but always try and double what you need . alot of extra gear but it what has to be done for extreem divin of this sort .

ianr33:
Totally disagree.

If you have done proper gas planning for the dive it is a mild inconvenience,not a "horrible position"

Question for you. When I dive caves do you think I should always carry a bail out bottle rather than relying on my buddies gas to get me out if I have a failure??

I'm thinking now we need a few definitions....bail-out bottles(many sizes), mild, & horrible.......(insert a whistle here)...dictionary.com, you're wanted front & center..........GEAUX TIGERS..............

my bail out depeneds on depth . anything from a 7 liter 232bar / 2x 12 liter 300bar are my norm . but on shallow dives i dive with a 3liter 232 bar . just means that you can be independent from your buddy to some extent

this by no means replaces the need for buddy diving

If my math is correct, the 7 liter tank is similar to a 50 cft tank, the 12 liter tank is similar to a 130 cft tank, and the 3 liter tank is about 24 cft, which doesn't seem to correspond to any US production tank, other than being a small bail out bottle.

2x 12 liter bail out seems quite large unless I assume that you drop these along a line????

2 bail out bottles side slung to each side . as i said depends ho deep you are goin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom