"free dive mode" ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snodger

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm shopping for my first computer and while researching here and on the web I noticed the following in the description of the Oceanic Geo:

"...the GEO is the first Free Diving Computer to calculate and track Nitrogen Tissue Loading, allowing you to switch between SCUBA dives and Free Dives on the same dive day..."

since I seem to find myself mixing free diving with scuba dives when I'm on dive vacations, I'm wondering if anyone can help explain (or point out other resources I can check out) how this type of feature works, if other computers have it, is it really a necessary feature or just marketing hype?

thanks

I have been using my Aeris Manta which essentially is the Oceanic Geo since February for both freediving and scuba. There is a thread on here somenwhere where a full review was posted also.

since I seem to find myself mixing free diving with scuba dives when I'm on dive vacations, I'm wondering if anyone can help explain (or point out other resources I can check out) how this type of feature works, if other computers have it, is it really a necessary feature or just marketing hype?

I don't have any idea if it's hype or not. However, somewhere here on SB, someone once pointed out that microbubbles might be made worse by the repeated and rapid ascents when freediving after scuba diving. Conceivably, an RGBM-based computer which tracked this without adding to your nitrogen loading might have some benefit. This might be something to keep an eye out for in your research.

Back
Top Bottom