Free 1 Year NRA Membership - Support 2nd Amendment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish NRA would *only* care about 2nd amendment...

In one way I wish that only criminals had guns. That way the police would know who to shoot and the rest of us losers would have to bash each other's heads in the hard way.

While I don't mind hunting or shooting guns at shooting ranges (in fact I don't even mind ownership of guns in and of itself) there are far too many accidents with them and too many guns are on the street for no good reason.

If you ask me it's an abomination in our day and age to advocate vigilante justice and/or arming citizens as a way to fight crime. I think the NRA is off the rails with these kinds of opinions and I'd like to see them squarely advocating gun ownership *exclusively* for the purpose of sport.

Until they do that then I say keep the pressure on.

R..

Diver0001, how much time have you spent in the United States. I find very interesting that you continue to comment on US gun laws and make comments about the number of accidents and the idea that there are too many guns on the streets in the US. What exactly is your base of knowledge on the subject.

None. :) but I thought this thread was off to a slow start and needed a little help :D

I do know a little about the issue from what I hear on TV and the internet. I remember reading somewhere that about 40,000 people a year are killed by guns in the US (those might be old figures and I don't know if there are any recent trends), which any way you look at it is much higher than in any other country in the world.

It's natural, I would think, for people to be concerned about that. And we're only talking about the deaths. If injuries were included you'd probably want to poop yourself.

As I recall accident rates were actually quite low but homicides and suicides accounted for about 95% of gun related deaths, with suicide accounting for marginally more victims than homicides. I also know that ownership of guns doesn't explain this phenomenon very well because some countries with high levels of gun ownership, like Sweden, have low levels of fire-arms related deaths.... Nevertheless, one could conclude as I suggested above that if organisations like the NRA tend, for what ever reason, to promote vigilate justice (It doesn't take very much digging to come to the conclusion that the NRA promotes gun ownership as a means to fight crime. I think it took me one or two mouse clicks to find that) and that the culture somehow tends to glorify that as in many Holywood films, that it exacerbates the problem. In fact, I would say it partly explains the problem.

Ergo, I would argue that the NRA either should start to promote gun ownership for sport only, or the pressure for them to do so should continue. At this point I think getting a fence around gun ownership in teh US probably won't slow down the murder and suicide rates very much. Other solutions, like getting organisations like the NRA to take a differnce stance about guns may be more effective.

As for "continuing" to comment on US gun laws, I don't recall every commenting on it before. Maybe I did but then your memory is better than mine. In fact, I don't know anything about US gun laws. I know that your constitution for historical reasons has given the civil population a right to bear arms and I know a little bit about the statistics. I know nothing about your laws. From the look of the statistics, I'm surprised that there even *are* any laws, tbh.

R..

Please don't poop yourself here Rob. :rofl3:

Nah. But I nearly pooped myself at the Portland airport the last time I was there....

I had to transfer planes and I walked out of the terminal at there's a "Y" crossing where you have to go left or right. I started to go left and then thought "this isn't right" and turned around to go back to the right.

The rent-a-cop security guy standing at the intersection saw me turn around and held out his hand and said "HALT", which of course I didn't. Instead I wanted to try explaining to him that I was transferring and took a wrong turn so I kept approaching him.

Then he pulled out his gun and pointed it at me and said in a loud voice. "SIR, IF YOU DO NOT TURN AROUND AND WALK THE OTHER WAY I *WILL* SHOOT YOU".

So I turned around and walked the other way.... then found a toilet to wash out my underwear, the whole time saying to myself "Only in America". :shakehead:

I then, of course, had to exit the airport, which is what I was trying to avoid, and go back through security. Fortunately my plane was delayed so I didn't miss it but daymmmm.

I don't know if the NRA would agree with what he did or not, but it does say something about the gun culture....

R..

is everyone/anyone allowed to own gun(s) in the US?:shocked2:

R,
You confuse vigilate justice with self defence, no one, esp the NRA condones vigilate justice, the going out and looking for trouble. On the other hand, they...we.. do believe we have the right to be safe where ever we go and in our homes. While the police will defend you IF they are around, by the very nature of criminals and how they work, the police are almost never around. Do some research off the CNN and Brady org sites. A good thing to do some research on it the occurances of hot (knowing someone is at home) burguleries in the US vs Great Britian. Here is some data you may find interesting. Gun Control And as for TV and the movies....well they are just that TV and movies. I have been in the "gun culture" all my life and spend many many hours at the range. For the most part (yea there are some nut cases) they are the nicest most civil people you will ever meet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom