Freak accident lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snobbydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i dive with twin 10's 300bar tanks very heavy were i don't need weights which is a bonus,was diving 2weeks ago on the clyde off millport diving from a rhib,it was one off those dives were you know you shouldve stayed in the house water temp was 3degrees which is normal for scotland Brrrrr anyway was down for 25 mins getting scallops at 18m was starting to surface when my tanks started to move over my head my buddy grabed me as i was going arse over T?T(upside down)as it happens my harness buckle had snapped i must admit i panicked its the first time since my training 3yr ago.when i surfaced after holding on to my buddys hand and stopping the circulation in his hand sorry gav,we got picked up by the rhib on board i had a very sore kneck where tanks had landed,guys on deck couldnt stop laughing as i still had my scallops never mind nearly losing my tanks as they were a present from santa clause and if i didnt bring them home she wouldve went tonto(mad)the day before i took off my tanks off my wing something i never do to take to the local dive shop to get fills i shouldve checked for wear and tear as ive had my custom diver wing for 7mnth i didnt bother (moral to the story is if it isnt broke dnt fix) eh:dork2:next time am out will double double check my kit what a arse eh:rofl3:at least i can see the funny side now LESSONS LEARNED

Kind of an interesting accident :)

I wonder if wearing lighter tanks and a few weights would have been helpful. What do you think?

So, your harness buckle snapped? Was it plastic?

Kind of an interesting accident :)

I wonder if wearing lighter tanks and a few weights would have been helpful. What do you think?

diving with heavier tanks suit me as ive done diving with singles with a weight harness,its quite tricky to get lighter twins as i said it suits me ive been on twins for 2yr,i had 12's before i went to 10's now i dnt think i could ever go back to singles except on my holidays

I rather enjoyed the whole post! To the OP though this is why many who dive double steel tanks use steel buckles where buckles are. You know this now! THe other option is no buckles except on the waist. I dive a DSS doubles set up with a one piece web harness. Nothing to break or let loose here. And glad you're ok. How were the scallops? How'd ya cook em? I prefer broiled with a bit of lemon and butter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed the incident report, thanks! A good lesson indeed!

Please know that many of us over here value good manners despite the occasional lapse.... :shakehead:

If you don't mind, how's the scalloping where you are? How deep? How productive are the beds? What would constitute a good haul? I'm nuts about them.... :D

Dave C

+1
I also enjoyed reading the post.

Good thing you didn't get really hurt, almost all of your gear came up intact, and the most important thingie, the scallops weren't lost.

The last part isn't meant to be a joke, actually.
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I thought it shows how panic/confusion took effect on your actions.

Enjoyed the incident report, thanks! A good lesson indeed!

Please know that many of us over here value good manners despite the occasional lapse.... :shakehead:

If you don't mind, how's the scalloping where you are? How deep? How productive are the beds? What would constitute a good haul? I'm nuts about them.... :D

Dave C
sorry about the lapse in bad manners but am SCOTTISH and what i said is every day language anyway sorry:eyebrow:the scallops are down about 18+ and about 4-5inch a good haul about 30-40 to me thats stealing from the sea so our wee gang off thieves take 12 a dive very nice with garlic butter lovely, anytime you get over to scotland look me up....alan

+1
I also enjoyed reading the post.

Good thing you didn't get really hurt, almost all of your gear came up intact, and the most important thingie, the scallops weren't lost.

The last part isn't meant to be a joke, actually.
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I thought it shows how panic/confusion took effect on your actions.
aye am not affraid to admit it i had a good buddy who seen the terror in my eyes and i didnt know i was still clutching my haul and yes they where magic with garlic butter,my neck still painful after 2weeks will b another couple of weeks b4 am next out diving,and i just got my kit back from getting a service looking 100%.....alan

Back
Top Bottom