Out of air incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar incident while diving in Cozumel several months back. I had been diving day after day after day, and I got complacent. I didn't check that my valve was fully open, and I let someone else set up my gear.

I took three breaths while looking at the SPG, jumped into the water, fully dumped my wing, and pressurized my ears all the way to the bottom at 60 feet. I tried to take my first breath at 60 feet, and I got nothing. I knew immediately that it probably the valve. I tried to reach my valve, but the DM had strapped my tank way too low and I couldn't reach the valve.

I didn't panic, and I knew that I was diving a balanced rig. I swam back up to the surface with ease, where I had plenty of air to hike up my tank and fully open the valve.

I had a similar incident while diving in Cozumel several months back. I had been diving day after day after day, and I got complacent. I didn't check that my valve was fully open, and I let someone else set up my gear.

I took three breaths while looking at the SPG, jumped into the water, fully dumped my wing, and pressurized my ears all the way to the bottom at 60 feet. I tried to take my first breath at 60 feet, and I got nothing. I knew immediately that it probably the valve. I tried to reach my valve, but the DM had strapped my tank way too low and I couldn't reach the valve.

I didn't panic, and I knew that I was diving a balanced rig. I swam back up to the surface with ease, where I had plenty of air to hike up my tank and fully open the valve.

You were single tank and the OP was sidemount with two tanks. Big difference.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I had a similar experience in Roatan where my dive buddy got sick with food poisoning and I joined a large group (of people training to be dive instructors, ironically) for a shark dive. Didn't have a buddy to do a buddy check on the panga on our way out. I didn't open my valve enough--only enough to pressurize the regulator and gauge at the surface. If you breathe out of it at the surface the gauge won't show a drop really because you're using a lot less air, but once you start going underwater your air will cut off slowly. I also made it to about 60 feet before I suddenly had no air. I grabbed someone nearby, they gave me their octo, and opened my tank for me all the way. But I totally know what you mean about "life flashing before your eyes" and all that. The thing in particular I noticed was how BRIGHT everything got because of the adrenaline of slowly drowning--your pupils dilate in that scenario.

Anyway, lesson learned to always make sure the valve is open. It happens and I'm glad you (and I) learned our lessons. Can guarantee that mistake won't happen again.

Wow you swam all the way to the surface with zero air instead of loosening the bc harness and opening the valve? I might try swimming from 20’or 30 feet, but not from 60- as a first choice. My first choice would be buddy or pony bottle, at that depth.

1. someone else set up your equipment?

2. didn't check your valve?

3. a DM strapped the tank where they wanted to and you did not change anything before entering the water?

4. it was faster to surface from 60' than it was to undo the belt buckle and pull the gear up to reach the valve?

OK THEN.

1. someone else set up your equipment?

2. didn't check your valve?

3. a DM strapped the tank where they wanted to and you did not change anything before entering the water?

4. it was faster to surface from 60' than it was to undo the belt buckle and pull the gear up to reach the valve?

OK THEN.

Yup
My fault entirely
Complacency kills

Wow you swam all the way to the surface with zero air instead of loosening the bc harness and opening the valve? I might try swimming from 20’or 30 feet, but not from 60- as a first choice. My first choice would be buddy or pony bottle, at that depth.

Yeah, it was easier - and probably faster - to swim up than fooling with the BC underwater
I was quite comfortable swimming up.

After getting excellent advice during my sidemount class, I FIRMLY belief in stopping at 15 feet to double check everything, no reason to go deep and find out a valve is only partially or not all all, opened, or and I've seen this, a very leaky valve.

After getting excellent advice during my sidemount class, I FIRMLY belief in stopping at 15 feet to double check everything, no reason to go deep and find out a valve is only partially or not all all, opened, or and I've seen this, a very leaky valve.
Guess you have never dived fast current/hot drop. Stop at 15', miss the bottom target...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom