Frameless Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Atomic frameless after collecting a box of masks that leak around my ugly face. Fit over brand, most DS's will let you try the mask before purchase.

Jet Fins are excellent, though there are some clones that are less expensive and just as good. XL may be the right size, but if you are buying online, make sure that you can exchange them if the don't fit well.

I will still go on framed mask because that is the only mask I can afford. I hope one day I can buy one frameless mask.

I picked up a SnorkelPro frameless (Trinidad) in GrandCayman for $30 bucks. It is apparently the cheaper name of the same model of ScubaPro's frameless. I mainly got it for a backup to my ScubaMax Bimini.

I found the Trinidad to be not as comfortable as my 'Max, I had to clear it more often, but the good thing about it was it didnt take much to clear it completely of water.

I am blind in one eye so I prefer the three windows of visibility. My 'Max is much like the ScubaPro CrystalVu Plus. High volume but stays clear longer. My.02!

Another vote for the AA frameless

The new Sherwood Rona looks good though, and at almost half the price - anyone tried one?

I've got about 30 dives on my Rona. My first frameless. No complaints so far.

Yup, my favorite mask as well. OP can read my mini-review of the Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at the bottom of this page:

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

I love my Atomic Frameless. 200 dives later on the same mask & I still love it. Worth every penny (especially since mine was 1/2 off at my LDS :crafty:)

It's good to know that the Atomic Frameless is available in two sizes. Medium and Standard - the Medium is smaller. Not all shops stock both sizes.

Anyone know the pros/cons of having a frameless mask. I am considering the ScubaPro Frameless.
I echo the comments that a frameless mask is great. Pros - very light weight, low volume, works well; Cons - cost, possible durability issues. I have a ScubaMax Frameless, which is much less expensive than the SP frameless, and it is a great mask. I have to chuckle at the way it is marketed - 'made by the EXACT same manufacturer, on the same molds, as the frameless mask sold by one of the major scuba manufacturers.' I bought it as a backup, but use it as a primary at times (when I forget to bring my primary mask). The ScubaMax fits MY face very well, is very low volume, and provides good, single lens (mine is not the tri-view) visibility. The ONLY drawback, for me at least, is that the nose pocket is so small that the least bit of water that collects is in contact with my nostrils. Not a real problem, but something that I notice at times.
DUI_Diver:
Also I just ordered the ScubaPro Jet Fins. I was in need of a fin that could work well with Rockboots. Was this a good choice of fins. I got the XL fins and I wear size 9 Rockboots. Would these be a good match?
Nothing but the highest praise, from me at least, for the Jet Fin. Definitely put spring straps on them. As for sizing, I will add to what RJP noted, and suggest it would have been good to size them before ordering. Jets have a bit of a strange fit. I wear XLs with the attached size 10 boots on my DCI drysuit. They work fine. They DO NOT fit well with my size 10 Rockboots. Maybe, a size 9 Rockboot is small enough to allow a better fit.

The three frameless masks I have are the SP Frameless:
SCPMFLBK.JPG

The SP Orbit:
scubapro_Orbit_black.jpg

And the Shadow:
Oceanic-shadow-small.jpg

I keep trying to switch to the SP Orbit because it's low volume with wide view, but I, too, cannot stop the leaking around ther nose. It you look at the nose area, there is a seam, and I believe that is the source of the leak. Maybe a design flaw, darn it, because I love the size, look and feel of it.

So, it's back to my tried and true Shadow, which has always served me perfectly. As a back-up, I have the SP frameless in my pocket, but it's just a little large for a back-up mask. I was hoping to use the Orbit as my primary and the Shadow as my back-up, but a leaking mask is no good. I have found that a slowly leaking mask will stop leaking after several dives, but it's just not happening with the Orbit.

Back
Top Bottom