Four Divers Rescued By Coast Guard - Panama City, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have actually never had someone on board while diving. Yes, it was a stupid mistake, but we definitely won't have that issue again.
Some of the lessons learned were that if you have your mind in the right place, and you set a goal, anything is possible. Never give up. Thank God for the life you're living today, because it could be gone tomorrow. Just because you think you're getting no where, just keep kicking, because just sitting there and going with the current will only make things worse. And of course, always have a safety observer on the boat.

Awesome attitude! You sound like your dad has really raised you right and his military background and influence on you is obvious!

One thing you might want to add to our dive kit if you haven't already, is a small plastic mirror for signaling during the day time for rescue. Your lights obvoiusly were a great help at night, but wouldn't have had an results during the day, but a small signaling mirror in daylight can be seen by a rescuer from miles away.

Anyways glad you guys made it!

I run the SCUBA club at Gulliver Prep in Miami and will be using this thread during our meeting this week Many of my divers have boats before they can drive and I want to emphasize the importance of always leaving an observer onboard.
The word observer has been used repeatedly since the quote from the local dive shop suggesting it, but the person left on the boat needs to be an able pilot who can drive the boat and work the radio. I read one story here of an not so able observer being left onboard and she was as helpless as the lost divers.

Incredibly stupid thing to do... Diving from an unattended boat when you can not easily swim to shore. I would never, EVER........... do that (again). I have to learn things the hard way myself.

Awesome attitude! You sound like your dad has really raised you right and his military background and influence on you is obvious!

One thing you might want to add to our dive kit if you haven't already, is a small plastic mirror for signaling during the day time for rescue. Your lights obvoiusly were a great help at night, but wouldn't have had an results during the day, but a small signaling mirror in daylight can be seen by a rescuer from miles away.

Anyways glad you guys made it!

Lucky they survived an idiotic activity. Let's be honest here.

Last edited:
You might want to add a large reel, which you tie off [-]to[/-] near the anchor line, and run line so you can always find it again.

Fixed it for you.

Hello. I am Tori Mudge, one of the divers that was rescued.

We anchored at the wreck at about 9AM. We then proceeded to put our gear on and head to the anchor line. As one of my dive buddies was swimming towards the front of our boat I was like thinking wow this current is really strong. I swam my hardest to get to the anchor line. It was extremely difficult. As we were heading down, I figured our anchor was on the wreck since it seemed we were traveling more parallel to the ocean floor, than heading down to it. My dad told us later that the anchor actually came up and moved while we were going down it. We swam around for a while, trying to find the wreck. It was no where in sight and then neither was our anchor line, so we decided to surface. We slowly ascended and then did the procedural safety stop. That was what made us miss the boat. My dad said he had this nagging feeling to skip the safety stop. We didn't need it because we weren't down there for that long, and we only went 60 feet. We surfaced only about 30 yards away from the boat. No matter how hard we swam we just couldn't reach it. My dad, a former marine, even took his gear off and just tried swimming with his fins to the boat as hard as he could, while the other divers and I held his gear and swam that way at a steady pace. He soon realized he didn't have much of a chance of getting to the boat, and we were just getting farther away, so he swam back to us. At that point we decided to try for land. My dad and the other divers all work on the Air Force base and were able to tell landmarks. We had our sights set on one of the towers and tried kicking towards it. But no matter how hard we tried to get to land, we just kept traveling parallel with it. Because my dad and the other two divers had gone through water survival training, I felt alittle more safe. Of course in that they had a life raft and flares. We only saw a few boats while we were out there, but none of them came close to us. We just kept kicking because we didn't want to lose sight of land. There was never actually a storm ontop of us, but that night it was lightning all around us and we could hear the rumbles of thunder. The cool thing about the water at night was there was this fluorescent algae or something in the water. When we kicked our fins the water would glow, and they were like little stars floating all around us. They stuck to the hairs on my arm and the threads of my tshirt. It was pretty awesome. Anyways, before we saw the helicopter, we were making our way towards one of the buoys that led out of the pass of Mexico Beach. Then we saw it in the distance. The spotlight of the helicopter. We shined our dive lights at it. My hands shake sometimes, and my dive light was strapped to my wrist. The coast guard said they thought it was a campfire on cape sandblast at first, but the light was moving too oddly and so they decided to check it out. The helicopter came over to us, and that was probably the happiest moment of my life. It was midnight when they picked us up. We were in the water for at least 14 hours, and we were found 9 to 10 miles away from our boat.

---------- Post added October 26th, 2013 at 09:34 AM ----------

Oh and the boat owner, my father, former U.S. Marine and Air Force, is not an irresponsible person. He's one of the bravest and most responsible man I've ever known.

---------- Post added October 26th, 2013 at 09:41 AM ----------

Not to mention he was a Leiutinant Colonel and he was very well respected.

With all respect to your father. it was something very silly. I am also a father and would never risk my children intentionally, but have been in some tight spots with them because I was being silly. I have no doubt he is brave, responsible and caring but we ALL make mistakes from time to time not necessarily intentionally. Let me be the first to say I have. I am so glad he was there with his friends and you all held it together and were rescued.

Its mistakes like this that your dad has made and recovered from that highlight to the rest of us what we should and should not do. I am sure he and all of you learned a valuable lesson which you may not have thought about before. We all assume that everyone is all knowing, but what is blindly obvious to some is not even on the radar to others.

Such is life. Have fun diving.

If this were to happen in the spring, you might all have died from hypothermia with that long in the water.

Back
Top Bottom