Four Divers Rescued By Coast Guard - Panama City, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Respected people make dumb decisions all the time, but that is no reason to start name calling. Remember to discuss people's mistakes with all the gravity they deserve but focus on the mistake and don't be rude.

The helicopter came over to us, and that was probably the happiest moment of my life. It was midnight when they picked us up. We were in the water for at least 14 hours, and we were found 9 to 10 miles away from our boat.

I'd say you got very lucky.

I don't understand why you didn't organize to have someone stay on board the boat. Can you go into why you made the decision to leave the boat unattended? I'm also curious, since you were there, to know what you think were the lessons learned.

R..

Reactions: Jax
Hopefully the lessons learned were worth the trouble - glad you're OK.

Reactions: Jax
We have actually never had someone on board while diving. Yes, it was a stupid mistake, but we definitely won't have that issue again.
Some of the lessons learned were that if you have your mind in the right place, and you set a goal, anything is possible. Never give up. Thank God for the life you're living today, because it could be gone tomorrow. Just because you think you're getting no where, just keep kicking, because just sitting there and going with the current will only make things worse. And of course, always have a safety observer on the boat.

14 hours adrift - gawd! :eek: I knew some folks who spent half that much time in the Cozumel channel a couple of years ago. Heard they looked pretty rough coming out when they were rescued. Scary, but with your dad there with you, I can imagine how much better that was.

We seldom here from the divers involved in these stories. Thanks for sharing.

We have actually never had someone on board while diving. Yes, it was a stupid mistake, but we definitely won't have that issue again.
Some of the lessons learned were that if you have your mind in the right place, and you set a goal, anything is possible. Never give up. Thank God for the life you're living today, because it could be gone tomorrow. Just because you think you're getting no where, just keep kicking, because just sitting there and going with the current will only make things worse. And of course, always have a safety observer on the boat.

You might want to add a large reel, which you tie off to the anchor line, and run line so you can always find it again.

I would also not dive off an unattended boat. However, if I found myself in a similar situation, being a strong swimmer, I might have tried to swim at a diagonal to the current and approach the boat by a triangle. The decreased force of current may have allowed this strategy to be successful, particularly swimming freely without scuba gear. Having grown up near the coast in Southern California, I had a lot of experience with rip currents.

It's easy to second guess after the fact, I only hope I would be as level headed if I were the one in that situation. I learn from each of the incidents described in this thread. I'm very glad the 4 divers were rescued in this case.

Good diving, Craig

A PLB is always a prudent idea in high current areas offshore.

I have always been of the opinion that it was safer to dive solo and leave a competent boat handler onboard than dive in a buddy team with nobody aboard. In this case missing the boat was the only event/problem. All too often multiple events conspire to kill divers. Getting out of the water and on the radio quickly can reverse many of those compound problems. Even if you didn’t miss the boat, do you think you could get yourself and an unconscious diver out of the water un-aided?

I run the SCUBA club at Gulliver Prep in Miami and will be using this thread during our meeting this week Many of my divers have boats before they can drive and I want to emphasize the importance of always leaving an observer onboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom