Found something interesting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When to Venice today to test the dive canoe that went well .
Water was flat and about 10ft vis even with the dredgers working just off shore.
Teeth were hard to find today But I did find something I thought was interesting.
Looks like a 50 cal casing. Thin walled at the top I wonder how long it's been down there.
Check out the pic. This one goes in the special box.

I found a similar spent casing when we dove 31JUL at Venice. I showed it to Walter and ReefGuy. I would expect that kind of stuff a little further North...

The end of the casing was flattened, but I assumed that happened after firing.

Have found several of those 50 calibre shells.
They are from the Air Force pilots shooting at targets that were set out in the Gulf during WWII

Yep, that's a .50 cal !!!
As stated, probably Navy and Marine pilots shooting at towed targets back in WWII.

the K

To determine the manufacture date and source, look at the stamped markings on the bottom of the casing, Tell us what the letters are. That will tell you when the round was made, but not necessarily when it was fired.

Howard

fgray1:
When to Venice today to test the dive canoe that went well .
Water was flat and about 10ft vis even with the dredgers working just off shore.
Teeth were hard to find today But I did find something I thought was interesting.
Looks like a 50 cal casing. Thin walled at the top I wonder how long it's been down there.
Check out the pic. This one goes in the special box.

How cool is that! I've never found anything man made out there except the occasional golf ball. Were you diving off Alhambra? I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for those, I'm a huge WWII history buff so that would be cool to add to the collection. I didn't have a whole lot of luck down there yesterday, found 1/2 of a decent meg tooth, some nice bones and some really nice mako teeth but nothing exceptional.

thedaddy's was found off alhambra. I'm guessing that they were actually further out and dredged up with the renourishment.

How far out were they found? I usually surface swim out maybe 100 yards or so then drop down but if they are closer to shore because of the beach building then I may have to drop down closer in to the beach next time.

I was about 150 meters out. straight out from the end of the condos in 18ft of water.
There was a great spot there. I'm heading back again this weekend.
I paddled out in the canoe to test it out. Was nice getting more bottom time and it made one hell of a dive flag

I know a member of the local dive club that has found several of the bullets (the projectile end). They must look like a tooth of some sort underwater.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom