Found Dive Computer, Pt. Lobos, Sept 10, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoever lost this computer went down yesterday (9/10) at 10.47 a.m. using 10% He and 28% O2. That should narrow the search for the owner down just a bit. It's in my hands now...but this little jewel should bring quite a bit on eBay if not claimed soon!

Bruce

Last edited:
So now it's home, spill the beans on the details :) What kind of computer was it, how was it lost?

I was contacted by a very happy owner of the lost computer.

Thanks for everyone's help in finding the rightful owner.

- Ericson

Way to go Ericson! First you save a cormorant from a slow, certain, painful death and now you save some anonymous diver's @ss. All in one weekend, You da man!

Comerant was wearing the computer? I guess someone was doing deco on the fly?

Nope.

Ericson and his fiance found a cormorant on the rocks at the Breakwater with a fishing hook in its wing, fishing line wrapped all around it, a lead weight hanging on and the end of the line snagged in the rocks. It couldn't hunt or move more than a few feet.

I happened to run into Ericson after he'd become frustrated that neither the SPCA or any other animal welfare group would get involved. We wondered about the Breakwater and borrowed a pole net from a fisherman and some rope, conduit and diagonal cutters from some electricians doing repairs and rigged up a long net. After many tries, Ericson could the bird and got it up onto the Breakwater walkway.

We cut the line and freed it from the bird. The hook was large and nasty and we ended up cutting the shank off and then pushing the barbed end through the wing to free it.

The bird was PISSED, but s/he walked away from the rescue. We can only hope that the wound heals without significant complications.

The computer I found was a Dive Rite Nitek He trimix computer. Like this one: http://www.marinehorizons.com/sales/products/nitek_helg.gif

It was between 40-50fsw at Pt Lobos near Cannery Point. The owner was very happy that I found his computer and was awfully generous in thanking me--he gave me a gift certificate to my favorite dive shop in Monterey. :D

You can read my dive report here: The North Coast Divers - 091008 Pt Lobos Dive Report

- Ericson

Glad to hear no good deed goes unrewarded (well, except for the bird)! Nice going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom