Fossilling with the Chapman's Tuesday, December 23rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went - good time had by all :)

Vis was 1-2 ft - but there was enough current (barely) to wave the surface sand away and make some decent finds :)

The lunch at Sharkey's was fun too - and it was great meeting everyone!

Oh, and MissD was only 20 minutes late :rofl3:

how deep were ya when the viz was 1-2 ft?

ok good, thats about what I predicted then. It should have opened up a bit around 20 fsw, 15 ft is about the depth of the blocks. Since they put those blocks in that area has had generally poor viz and a lot of silt.

We went - good time had by all :)

Vis was 1-2 ft - but there was enough current (barely) to wave the surface sand away and make some decent finds :)

The lunch at Sharkey's was fun too - and it was great meeting everyone!

Oh, and MissD was only 20 minutes late :rofl3:

:shocked2:You liar! :kicknut:

ok good, thats about what I predicted then. It should have opened up a bit around 20 fsw, 15 ft is about the depth of the blocks. Since they put those blocks in that area has had generally poor viz and a lot of silt.

Mote on the far back side I had a good at least 5+ ft. I could see from the side of the block I was on to the far side of the next one. Further out there was some even better viz but all sand (odd spot). If you were close in as Jridg said, viz was a max of 2'.

I did grab a claw as I was noodling around :) Then decided to keep my eye on the prize, (meg, which never happened) and not hunt. I also saw a big conch eating a stone crab whole! :shocked2:

Still a lot of silt covering things. If you were further out the silt wasn't as bad but it was still bad.

Lunch was grand. Beforehand though Truck and Blonde treated everyone to some homeade chili to warm up a bit while we were gearing down. At Sharky's we had jrdg, Scott5644, Kendra, Janet, Dennis, Denny, Muggsy, Truck1, BlondeAmbition, Frogman_5, and moi. I'd never eaten ate Sharky's and I have to say they have some awesome fries. :D

Last edited:
Glad y'all had a good time, sorry I missed it. I love sharkey's...last summer I ate there about once a week when I was doing my DM internship. Next time try the grouper wrap! BTW there have been a few nice megs found around the blocks in the washouts!

BTW there have been a few nice megs found around the blocks in the washouts!

Why oh why are you telling me this now? :shocked2::chairfight: :wink: I'd have spent more time 'round those areas.

Thanks again for the info. It came in handy. When I first dropped I wasn't so sure how long I was going to stay but I kept noodlin' out and it got better and better.

When they set those blocks last winter, they sit them right on one of the more productive fossil beds at Alhambra.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom