Forum Dogs :: Internet Bullies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was sorry Quero cleaned up all the threads before I had a chance to read them. The rhetoric was making me a bit nostalgic. Shucks, I almost got misty-eyed.

Reactions: Jax
As pure entertainment value I kinda miss the old rec.scuba days and Jammmers, Scotts and Georges.

Even ScubaBoard has calmed down quite a lot since I first joined ... we've had quite the assortment of colorful characters pass through over the years.

Who remembers Popeye?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not having been around for the good old days, I found the blog to be interesting and the comments to be in some cases surprising. I think most everybody here has read Shadow Divers. Chatterton's blog here appears to project the same philosophy as in the book.

Please don't stop posting John....although I didn't agree with everything you wrote it was informative and generated a valuable discussion for new divers, like me.

Even ScubaBoard has calmed down quite a lot since I first joined ... we've had quite the assortment of colorful characters pass through over the years.

Who remembers Popeye?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Popeye actually showed up in boynton one time, and I got to meet him... He gave me a mason jar of home made Moonshine I will never forget, either :)
It was a time where many larger than life characters were very entertaining...

I will say that I really enjoyed the narative of the video and appreciate the self reliance phylosphy of diving. I may not choose to do certain dives because They exceed my comfort envelope, I appreciate that Mr Chatterton has a clearly articulated phylosophy for diving. I thought people were piling on a single statement unfairly. bring your own damn gas is perfectly reasonable approach to deep water diving. If you don't like that, I am sure Mr Chatterton will be able to find others to dive with. If you are doing deep dives in confined overhead, especially someplace like a silty wreck, had better be planning on enough gas to get in and out despite a complete failure of a tank/reg. It is called redundancy. The video he had associated with the blog was something out of the history books. Applying 2013 diving standard to a 1991 dive is kind of say they should have used antibiotics to fight the plague or just built sewers to fight Cholera in middle ages. Sure, but diving just wasn't there in 1991.

Mr Catterton, Please, I really enjoyed the video, and appreciated the thoughts. The heated debate was not really about you (although some small minds might have tried to make it so). It was about some of the ideas, often out of context and taken to ludicrous extremes (my favorite was the guy who would offer his tank and do a free ascent for the diver that needed 100 cfu of air. Has that EVER happened?).

Please keeping posting the videos and blogs. The key thing is not the people that are close minded about your ideas, but the ones that are open to them. For those of us beached in the NE for the winter. We need something look at...

I really enjoy reading your work John. I quit even coming to this forum for a few years because of the wolfpack. I am one of the members on here that stands on very firm ground but not with my head in the sand not wanting to learn better / different ways. I am always learning and willing to learn new ideas. So when you see that a thread, blog etc is viewed by hundreds but 12 decide to post it is usually the 12 that has something objective to say while the rest either agree with you, respect your opinion or disagree and go about their business. So just keep posting.

.... and any topic that makes Dumpster Diver and me end up on the same side has GOT to be pretty polarizing!

THANKS! :confused:

It has just taken a little longer than I had expected for you to "come around" to my way of thinking. :rofl3:

Howard, you addressed his questions, but basically what you said is that John didn't mean what he wrote, and John never said that.

I did not say John didn't mean what he said... I explained what he meant in more detail. Within the 2 (now 3) threads on this, I more than explained that the "My Regulator" was to do with non-buddy divers trying to mug someone for their alternate air. It was not to do with a buddy and also was not about an "every man for himself" philosophy, which apparently has been the label.

I also explained in a few places about running out of gas on 200+ foot dives, and what was meant in that arena.

I also answered Jim's post where he didn't understand about choosing to take a few breaths of deco gas at depth, and then expeditiously making your way to your first deco stop where you would be at a nominal PO2 vs. just running out of gas and being dead.

There isn't much more to be said on it, it's all there buried in the hundreds of posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom