Forum behavior: Split from "Newly Certified Diver OOA at Gilboa"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He WAS a veterinarian, and is now a human dermatologist, at least according to what he has written in the past.

Dr. Fisher got criticized for not meeting that standard. I think it was probably merited. I think medical folk in a medical forum need to meet a higher standard of posts.

I guess most people here know of my background, which I would prefer not. You are correct that our advice as "medical professional" should be sound - if people expect you to be a professional.

I don't know if anyone can be trusted to be a professional on an internet forum. You take the advice as it comes.

Now if you are a "medical moderator", "doctor", or "SB staff" on the blue symbol - you better post with high standards. I try to be as conservative as possible - but also available for quick comments... Rather than spending 2 or 3 days researching information for people.

In the same way, if one never intended to portray oneself as a "doctor" or medical professional, why would anyone trust a DVM for medical advice?

And yet they are willing to trust DocVikingo for complex medical issue? Because they believe that he is a physician. And his advices are well researched. He uses meticulous grammar, and his spellings are perfect. And, also, he makes fun of physician for not knowing how to spell.

But all pertinent information about DocV is that he is not a physician (Dr. Terrence W. Dunlop (DocVikingo@aol.com), Annapolis, MD - http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/chapbook/c2000/Bahamas2000.shtml), and yet his profile does not indicate that. He is a PhD psychologist who did extensive work in the addiction field of medicine http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/2/78 - yet all of us here thinks that he is a physician.

I don't know what is worse, an incomplete profile that doesn't say who you are, or a complete profile that exposes you to a higher standard for posting, or passing off as a physician when you are not.

Aren't we asking too much of our members? I am not a SB medical staff.... simply someone pretending to be a dermatologist, right?

I guess most people here know of my background, which I would prefer not.
Why not?
I don't know what is worse, an incomplete profile that doesn't say who you are, or a complete profile that exposes you to a higher standard for posting, or passing off as a physician when you are not.

How about honesty? How about we all are accountable for who we say we are. How about we don't try to hide behind the internet? It doesn't work anyway, because if you post long enough, you'll tell us all who you really are.

How about we don't say, I'll answer your question, but I don't want to stand behind my answer? How about we all get real with who we are and not be afraid to be taken to task we overstep our bounds? How about we are each held to the standard that we really deserve to be at, rather than one we try to invent on the internet?

Just a thought....

I've found that the more I've posted on my profile, the more likely people will rip on my profile if they don't like my opinion. Why can't I go on ripping on people, and not filling out my profile? Dr. X has done it, why can't I? Because I don't believe in ripping people down to elevate myself up?

I've found that the more I've posted on my profile, the more likely people will rip on my profile if they don't like my opinion.
I'd bet you won't find that to be the case with TSandM.

That is a fact I would suggest you consider, because there is a good reason.

Why not?

How about honesty? How about we all are accountable for who we say we are. How about we don't try to hide behind the internet? It doesn't work anyway, because if you post long enough, you'll tell us all who you really are.

How about we don't say, I'll answer your question, but I don't want to stand behind my answer? How about we all get real with who we are and not be afraid to be taken to task we overstep our bounds? How about we are each held to the standard that we really deserve to be at, rather than one we try to invent on the internet?

Just a thought....

I do agree with Rick in this post. This board is a great tool for many things, one of which is giving and receiving criticism and advice. If we offer advice or criticism, we had better be willing to back it up if called on it and accept that we are wrong if proven to be. Pride really has no place here (or should not anyways). However, I also agree with a number of people that those calling people out can be complete ass or they can be civilized about it. Someone is less likely to get defensive if called out in a civilized and constructive manner than if someone comes out throwing punches. One works....one doesn't. One method is constructive and one is a "bully mentality". The more people log onto SB and see people getting lambasted for telling a story that got twisted around by the mob and could not be straightened out because the defensive zone was rushed too quickly, the less they will want to post their own experiences. Does everybody win when that happens? I personally think that some people just need to step away from the keyboard before they click "Post Reply" (and this goes for both the attackers and those being attacked). Anyways, another thread awaits all of us....this one is :deadhorse:.

Rick, I am not sure why it is not the case with TSM. She is a nice and pleasant lady. And I am a little rough.

But to get members who hounds me at any opinions I bring up, or questions I ask makes me wonder. Posting on the Going Pro forum got me nothing but grief. Halemano rips me to pieces on not knowing how to use a compass (I think I am quite competent at it), when I shared my opinion on how I feel about it. And in the same way, he said I should not be commenting about weighting if I had X number of dives. When I posted a question about why I got dizzy in the medical forum, then I get ripped for not knowing about it would happen, if I were a physician.

Like others have said here before, it is an internet forum, and rough responses are noted. This forum is especially rough, especially if you question anything that is against conventional wisdom. I find that my stating that I am a physician (just deleted it 48 hours ago), if I were to comment on a medical issue based on my personal experience, I would get ripped on by an instructor or two (Karibella) on how dare I make such a statement. And yet others can go on giving very questionable advice on the same topic.

It is a hard forum to post on, as many people here (instructors especially) has huge egos. And I guess I am the same way.

Rick, do you feel that being an SB staff helps? You can delete posts at will, and reign people in with your power. Perhaps that's why you get nicer response than others?

Fisherdvm returns - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/244179-innovative-wound-care.html
Like others have said... You need to be a little thick skinned to post on the internet period, especially when you purport yourself to be an expert. Many things can't be expressed in type that can be expressed in words.

I think that is the key term, you need to be thick skinned. I always have thought that HowardE is very abrupt in his response to me, and quick to call me a troll on one of my post - which I did not mean to be offensive. One has to be very careful how one post here, as many subjects are very sensitive that I am not aware of. I guess that is the same way, when Vladamir made a comment about spelling, he didn't know how much it got under my skin about DocV's jabbing remarks (which have been deleted by TSM and Netdoc).

Rick, do you feel that being an SB staff helps? You can delete posts at will, and reign people in with your power. Perhaps that's why you get nicer response than others?
Yeah, that's what we do. You caught us! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom