forum access and posting is REALLY slow...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeffG:
We will have to agree to disagree. Its easy to avoid the posts if you don't like them and if all off-topic chatter was suppressed, you would be left with a lifeless carcass.
I think you misunderstand. I don't mind off-topic chatter. I mind off-topic bandwidth wasting for it's own sake. If you want to talk about something... anything at all, that's fine. I just don't see the point in slowing down the site for the sake of the posts that don't actually communicate anything one way or the other.

It's very easy to avoid those posts, but when their presence means it isn't possible to log on to the site, it's even easier. If you believe seeing server error messages instead of scubaboard so that we can have a thread with tens of thousands of posts like the following is a reasonable tradeoff, then yes... I'll agree to disagree:
"bread"
"basket"
"weave"

If you really like that stuff, let me know, and I'll see that the site slows down even more by starting the random character game on your behalf. Just think, we could eventually have 50,000 posts that all say "9u8hm1c-75thv-45yubwp0,kmc=a-;0sr1s0346d-97 bn689054my-294ill". Then, when no one can log on at all, you can kick back and contemplate how awesome it is to have had so much character on the site. As you suggested, I'll be on the Deco Stop that day, talking about diving... or truck tires, or cookouts, or machine lathes, or... well, the point is, I'll be having a conversation.

MSilvia:
I agree that there are a lot of interesting characters here, but crap is still crap regardless of who posts it. IMHO, that forum is less than worthless, and the board would still be fun, still have character, and still run better without it.

I see a lot of crap in the diving related threads too. I have to agree with Jeff. I wonder what percentage of the posts here are not diving related? I believe that as in most businesses the advertising rate on SB can be dictated by traffic.

MSilvia:
I think you misunderstand.
Maybe, wouldn't be the first time :wink:

MSilvia:
It's very easy to avoid those posts, but when their presence means it isn't possible to log on to the site, it's even easier. If you believe seeing server error messages instead of scubaboard so that we can have a string of tens of thousands of posts like:
"bread"
"basket"
"weave"
is a reasonable tradeoff, then yes... I'll agree to disagree.
It is just exposing a weakness with their current configuration, which would be reached regardless of the content of the posts.

On the other hand, if you remove a place for people to interact in a way that they enjoy there is a good chance they would leave.

I don't know about you, I got here by looking for scuba knowledge, but I'm remain because of the people.

JeffG:
Maybe, wouldn't be the first time :wink:
I don't know about you, I got here by looking for scuba knowledge, but I'm remain because of the people.

I'm here for the frequent flier miles I accrue for every post.

Hey, thats .013 more miles!

dherbman:
I here for the frequent flier miles I accrue for every post.

Stay in the MOF thread and pretty soon you will make it to the mall.

JeffG:
On the other hand, if you remove a place for people to interact in a way that they enjoy there is a good chance they would leave.
That would make it even more effective as a bandwith relief measure. If people leave because those threads go away, I for one won't lose any sleep over it. Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out folks... we don't want butt prints on the door.
JeffG:
Everyone here brings a smile to my face. Some when they post, others when they refrain from posting. I stay because of the diving discussion, and because of the generous handfull of folks I enjoy talking to about other things.

MSilvia:
That would make it even more effective as a bandwith relief measure. If people leave because those threads go away, I for one won't lose any sleep over it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out folks... we don't want butt prints on our door.
You must be a blast at parties. If you feel that way, why don't you take your own advice.

MSilvia:
I stay because of the diving discussion
Really. Actually, we could close down all diving talk and just say "Do a search", because quite frankly, looking through the archive, pretty much everything about diving has been discussed.

dherbman:
I'm here for the frequent flier miles I accrue for every post.

usually I would ignore this post and just smile, but had to comment. :multi:
What plan do you have? :D

dlndavid:
usually I would ignore this post and just smile, but had to comment. :multi:
What plan do you have? :D

Medicare, Plan B. God love George B.!

JeffG:
You must be a blast at parties. If you feel that way, why don't you take your own advice.
Because, as I said, I enjoy the diving discussion, and talks with people whom I enjoy talking with. From your comment, I take it you spend a lot of time at parties talking to people who don't say anything you find interesting? They must be really good parties.
JeffG:
Really. Actually, we could close down all diving talk and just say "Do a search", because quite frankly, looking through the archive, pretty much everything about diving has been discussed.
Yes, really. It's amazing that I constantly find new and interesting diving topics to discuss on scubaboard, given that everything's already been covered.

What I hear you saying is that you think all of the interesting new threads on scubaboard are unrelated to diving, and that the board would be just as useful if not better if it was archived and turned into an unfocused chat room. I couldn't agree less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom