Forgot to put dust cap on.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skink_au

New
Reaction score
I've just come home from a night dive (where I found out why they call it a 'numbfish') and thrown my regulator in the bath tub to soak. Immediately I saw that the dust cap wasn't on. I grabbed the regs and connected it to a tank and purged the second stage, occy and bcd inflator.

Is there anything else I could have done (apart from putting the dust cap on!) or should now do?

Skink_au

I've done that more than once myself, and never had any problems after I purged it out. I wouldnt be overly concerned about a single time.

Skink_au:
I've just come home from a night dive (where I found out why they call it a 'numbfish') and thrown my regulator in the bath tub to soak. Immediately I saw that the dust cap wasn't on. I grabbed the regs and connected it to a tank and purged the second stage, occy and bcd inflator.

Is there anything else I could have done (apart from putting the dust cap on!) or should now do?

Skink_au

One time, fresh water, quick purge? Probably nothing more necessary. Don't feel badly about that. There are those who have, and those who will. :D

Any time one of our students does that with university gear we send the regulator to the LDS to have them look at it as a precaution. It only costs $35 if nothing is wrong and if something did happen to be affected it's repaired before it can harm anyone.

Better safe than sorry, it's your life support equipment.
Ber :lilbunny:

My only remaining concern would be the SPG. After an uncapped FW dunking you should remove the SPG before pressurizing and purging. At this point, I would disconnect the HP hose from the first stage, and the SPG from the hose. Blow out any water in the HP hose and let the SPG, with spool removed, air dry for a couple days. Should be no problem.

You can avoid water in the SPG line very simply. Put the reg on a tank. Before opening the valve, prees & hold the purge in. Then open the valve. That'll flush the water out the 2nd stage rather than into the HP line.

This also works underwater, you can move a reg from one tank to another this way.

Wayward Son:
You can avoid water in the SPG line very simply. Put the reg on a tank. Before opening the valve, prees & hold the purge in. Then open the valve. That'll flush the water out the 2nd stage rather than into the HP line.

This also works underwater, you can move a reg from one tank to another this way.

If that results in pressure registering on the SGP then you are still pushing some water into the HP hose. It only take a second to pull that hose. Your technique will minimize that water flow but I prefer to just eliminate it.

As DA pointed out previously, this fix does not work with an unbalanced piston 1st as some water will get pushed into the IP chamber where it will be trapped. With that type first, the cover needs to be removed to dry it properly.

I've got an Oceanic Atom transmitter instead of the SPG. Should I therefore remove the transmitter or are they sealed so not as important?

PS - Thanks for the replies. Worried I may have totally stuffed my regs - and they are only two weeks/5 dives old!

Skink_au

I'd never trust the regulator cap to keep water out while soaking. Also if you should hit a purge button with a second stage submerged water can enter the system. I always soak pressurized and then purge underwater to dislodge whatever is in there. Hose the first stage and hoses down right on the tank.

It should use less than 100 PSI but it's still nice if you can do it before getting your fills.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom