Forgive me for asking a question that has probably been asked many times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that has not been pointed out yet, is that in Queensland the role of a PADI DM is limited. You may be qualified to take Intro divers on their second dive (reduced ratios) but not according the Queensland Code of Practice. Similar with students.

So apart from leading certified divers, and running snorkel tours the video / photography is the job most DMs end up doing. Having things like coxswains ticket (restricted or even better get open) will allow you to work as a deck hand and run students out as well as boat work, and opens up a lot more doors, but you need sea time.

Oxygen Administration and Work Place First Aid are also pre requisites to working here.

Need work visa and as pointed out above highly unlikley to get sponsored with so many instructors hanging around.

Dont mean to be pesimistic, but just pointing out the way it is up here.

I know exactly what you mean.

Bit like mining jobs!
Really if you don't have the credentials, experience and good contacts your up the creek really.
Funny how Padi suggest a good career in diving- same as those mining job recruiters they promise heaps, but then sting you for search fees and training cost....very few get a good job out of it.

Seems the words "skill shortage" has vanished from the political vocabulary all of a sudden, as they start stacking the debt real hard- seems the biggest skills shortage is to be had in political leadership! anyway bye bye labor for next decade!

As mentioned DM jobs are really hard to come by in Oz. By pure fluke I got a job working in Dunsborough WA as a DM. I got $125 a day for two dives and was normally finished by 3pm. When the company was paying super I only got $100, but they were happy to pay me as contractor once I got my business number. Not great money but more than friends in hospitality were getting and I claimed for every single piece of kit I purchased and payed very little tax one year, which was very nice.

But really I was very lucky. Most people only want instructors and where I worked was seasonal so in the off months I had to find other stuff to earn money. All things considered it's still the best dive job I've ever had.

Where you thinking in Malaysia? I worked out there for quite a bit can give you the heads up on dodgy dive centres.

Ste wart,

Care to expand on the dodgy dive centers in Malaysia please? (Was considering looking for a DM/instructor job there in a few years plus i holiday there a fair bit)
Cheers
-Mike

Ste wart,

Care to expand on the dodgy dive centers in Malaysia please? (Was considering looking for a DM/instructor job there in a few years plus i holiday there a fair bit)
Cheers
-Mike

I'd rather say yes or no to where the OP is thinking than start a list. If you have some idea though let me know where you thinking.

Both times I worked in Malaysia, which added up to 12 months I think, I earned fair money for a dive instructor. So I would recommend trying for work there. The 2nd place I worked was a bit factory, but I earned enough to buy new kit and pay for flights. So its swings and roundabouts.

Heh, we actually already booked with Dive Down Below based near Sabah (I think, going from memory).

The reviews for them seemed good so hopefully that is the case! (5 stars on 331 reviews on tripadvisor)

-------

On another note, I was just browsing a few job websites to see what was around in the diving industry and came across one for Diving for Pearls at a Pearl Farm in NT saying it pays $300 a day.

Seems little too good to be true. Are there any dangers associated with that? Or is it just a dodgy enterprise?

I figured there might be risks with Crocs but it seems to be a farm, not natural so don't even know if there is that risk.

On another note, I was just browsing a few job websites to see what was around in the diving industry and came across one for Diving for Pearls at a Pearl Farm in NT saying it pays $300 a day. Seems little too good to be true. Are there any dangers associated with that? Or is it just a dodgy enterprise?
I figured there might be risks with Crocs but it seems to be a farm, not natural so don't even know if there is that risk.

Hi Cayal,

Have a look at this thread for starters - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...rley-coast-western-australia.html#post6307194. The Safe Work Australia document linked in the above is now at http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au...s P/567 Pearl Producers Association (Inc).pdf.

Last edited:
Heh, we actually already booked with Dive Down Below based near Sabah (I think, going from memory).

Ah Borneo Malaysia, not Peninsular, never made it over there so no idea about the dive centres. Good luck with the course. Take your snorkel! :D

Ah Borneo Malaysia, not Peninsular, never made it over there so no idea about the dive centres. Good luck with the course. Take your snorkel! :D

Lol thanks. They have a 5-star review from 600+ reviews on trip advisor so they can't be all bad (or have a dedicated bunch people reviewing themselves as awesome, lol).

I am looking forward to it, if not more than doing daily dives for 2 months,

Back
Top Bottom