Forgive me for asking a question that has probably been asked many times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayal

Contributor
Reaction score
I need a general idea what a Divemaster earns in Australia. Whether it be per day/week/month or dive?

I know it isn't much and I have searched but cannot find a satisfactory answer (that is one with numbers rather than 'not much'). I know they don't earn much at all. Even a ballpark figure would do me, or a range (like $10 - 20 or something).

The reason I want to know is that I am currently fed up with what I do (I work in IT) and I am going for my Divemaster in Malaysia at the end of the year with the intention of leading dives when I get back (or even overseas but not related to this point). I don't expect to earn much, if anything, but I simply cannot deal with IT anymore and if I could get a job part time (even in IT) and lead dives for 2 - 3 days a week, or even on the weekends I think I could cope more with what I do.
Thus the reason I ask is to get a general idea of what a Divemaster/group leader earns so I can work out any realistic chance of this happening.

Once again I apologise for asking a question that has probably been asked many times and I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Cayal,
My brother was earning roughly $120-150 up in cairns as a certified divemaster but found it extremely hard to get a job as they usually hire backpackers on working holidays (no super payments, tax, workers comp etc etc). He did say that an instructor can make up to $150-$250 a day, however there is a insurance fee of $600ish a year that dm's have to pay to stay current.
I too am interested in obtaining my divemasters and working part time out of brisbane and hope to do my dm next year some time.
Goodluck!
-Mike

---------- Post added April 30th, 2013 at 06:06 PM ----------

For a higher paying job as a dm you should look into photography/videography. They earn a pretty good wicket under the right company.

Outside the GBR, nothing.

Keep in mind too that DM work, esp on the GB, is seasonal so unless you offer more / work very hard for the operator you are not going to have work all year round. Also, it may be tough to stay on with boats if you are only doing a few days a week because they'll want to give the work to their more frequent employees or those that go the extra mile (whilst being paid low wages).

The wage mentioned for Cairns is good info, I know some operators in Port Douglas pay a bit more than that, but the comment about competing with back packers is spot on. Also up here in FNQ it will be tough to find IT work because the market / demand just isn't really there.

What sort of IT work do you do if I may ask?

Hi Cayal, I found the following document online a couple of years ago - the pay rates appear on page 22 of 27 - http://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/agreements/wpa/CAEN073502070.pdf

Thanks!

Great info, if not for anything but a guide.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 10:31 AM ----------

Cayal,
My brother was earning roughly $120-150 up in cairns as a certified divemaster but found it extremely hard to get a job as they usually hire backpackers on working holidays (no super payments, tax, workers comp etc etc). He did say that an instructor can make up to $150-$250 a day, however there is a insurance fee of $600ish a year that dm's have to pay to stay current.
I too am interested in obtaining my divemasters and working part time out of brisbane and hope to do my dm next year some time.
Goodluck!
-Mike

---------- Post added April 30th, 2013 at 06:06 PM ----------

For a higher paying job as a dm you should look into photography/videography. They earn a pretty good wicket under the right company.

Thanks Mike.

I would love to do photography/videography but I have no idea where I would start.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 10:33 AM ----------

Keep in mind too that DM work, esp on the GB, is seasonal so unless you offer more / work very hard for the operator you are not going to have work all year round. Also, it may be tough to stay on with boats if you are only doing a few days a week because they'll want to give the work to their more frequent employees or those that go the extra mile (whilst being paid low wages).

I'd be happy to do it full time if I could get it, even for low-ish wages. Even seasonal, I could do (for example) 6 months on a boat and take contract work in Melbourne or something during the down season.

I am lucky that I own a house and can rent it out for extra income and a g/f who supports me and earns enough and would come with me to whereever we go. She would probably be guaranteed a job anywhere.

What sort of IT work do you do if I may ask?

At the moment I work on a Service Desk. Been doing some for about 6 years now.

Yesterday I just had it. I would have walked out if I wasn't going on holidays in July.

With Service Desk / Support type skills you will have a better chance finding something in FNQ. I walked away from IT Mgmt / Exec Mgmt in Aerospace in the US and as you can imagine finding something similar up here would be a nightmare. I really feel your pain esp if you are burnt out on help desk. I couldn't take anything IT related towards the end.

Though I am willing to do ERP/MRP and SQL/ETL consulting remote on occasion.

It sounds possible for you, maybe take some time and visit some places to get a feel for where you like and talk to local boat crews for more info. I can fill you in on some of the Port Douglas scene if you like!

With Service Desk / Support type skills you will have a better chance finding something in FNQ. I walked away from IT Mgmt / Exec Mgmt in Aerospace in the US and as you can imagine finding something similar up here would be a nightmare. I really feel your pain esp if you are burnt out on help desk. I couldn't take anything IT related towards the end.

Though I am willing to do ERP/MRP and SQL/ETL consulting remote on occasion.

It sounds possible for you, maybe take some time and visit some places to get a feel for where you like and talk to local boat crews for more info. I can fill you in on some of the Port Douglas scene if you like!

Yeah, Service Desk is everywhere, guess that's because no one likes it. haha.

I won't be looking at doing DM for at least another year so I have time to work it out, see what's out there.

Nothing is worse then being an experienced diver and getting guided by someone with little real coral reef diving experience, then who hardly knows the sites you're diving- bad show from the Aussie operators who hire foreigners, makes me love towing my boat up to FNQ instead of feeding the greedy, glutenous operators up there.

Need law changes to work visas here now that unemployment is on the rise again, time to shut the gate so Aussie nationals can get a fair go!

One thing that has not been pointed out yet, is that in Queensland the role of a PADI DM is limited. You may be qualified to take Intro divers on their second dive (reduced ratios) but not according the Queensland Code of Practice. Similar with students.

So apart from leading certified divers, and running snorkel tours the video / photography is the job most DMs end up doing. Having things like coxswains ticket (restricted or even better get open) will allow you to work as a deck hand and run students out as well as boat work, and opens up a lot more doors, but you need sea time.

Oxygen Administration and Work Place First Aid are also pre requisites to working here.

Need work visa and as pointed out above highly unlikley to get sponsored with so many instructors hanging around.

Dont mean to be pesimistic, but just pointing out the way it is up here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom