• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Forensic Diving Courses

Discussion in 'Public Safety Divers' started by force-e, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Jacky Boy

Jacky Boy Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I didnt call you any names, I insulted your view of the world, as I believe that that sort of paranoid mentality is one of the many things wrong with the world.
    You can claim to be better informed of the world at large than I am due to your age, and you can imply that my aceademic studying is far removed from the reality that you know so well.
    Well I do pay attention to the real world, and I take lessons from history, and current events. It doesnt matter how well informed someone is, what matters is their intent. You cant hide the information that you think should be hidden, but you can make someones life a misery by concluding from their curiositys or studys that their upto no good. There have been several cases in the past few months in the UK where the police and CPS have been frankly humiliated by taking people to court, just for looking at information on the internet, when they were clearly just bored and 'surfing the web'

Well I think you said it all with 'reasonable doubt'. Believe it or not some people are innocent, and if the doubt is reasonable, then they dont belong in prison. If what you are reffering to is a technicality however then I take your point, but I dont see what legal technicality could actually arise from examining an underwater crime scene.

So your making sure that lawyers who work on traffic cases are uninformed and there fore unable to contest, or even uphold, what the technology (which of course has never, ever been wrong) tells us. And should the cop have not correctly followed procedure, that is there I would presume to ensure the test is accurate, the lawyer would not have the knowledge to contest it. Well I'm glad to see your making sure the law is upheld and justice is always being served. Really good job there, well done.
    Is it just defence lawyers you exclude? Do you let the prosocution lawyers take it?

Whats the use of the training someone on a PSD team if its not of the standard to make them an expert?
    And what damage could a Journalist, atterny or civillian do, if they were trained to the same standard as you? are civilians all incompetent fools who wouldnt be able to cope?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im guessing your all in law enforcement of some type. I think the reason most courses are tought only to police, firemen or PSD teams is more to do with the training given being specific to those poroffesions. And less to do with what us lesser life forms might get upto with this information. As I said before, the books used to teach some of these courses are publicly avalable (I looked at a few agencies who only teach police, fire and PSD teams), so the information is avalable to anyone.
    Most Teamwork and managment stratergy courses are only avalable to corporete clients, but I dont think their really worried about what would happen if a public servent got hold of their information. It seems the same principal to me.
    But if you want to think its because your more trustworthy with this sacred information then thats upto you.

Well, ive found an agency which teaches a course that police, forensic scientists and the public who are considering this as a career can complete. Extra credit, the perfect crime, and getting bad guys out on the street, here I come!

2. bridgediver

bridgediver Instructor, Scuba

Very well. We don't insult each other's opinion, view, personality or anything else on here. We respect one another even though we may disagree.

You mentioned earlier on that "An aceademic curiosity is something to be admired" - maybe so but maybe an academic knowledge of a subject should be at least respected (especially by those that claim they are curious).

Its easy to cast stones into the arena as a spectator and claim you know how the game is played but until you've actually been IN the game you don't know.

That's pretty much it actually. People involved with this kind of work have criminal checks, physicological profiles etc and tend to be held more accountable for their actions then the regular person exactly for this reason.
    You can scoff at it all you want but do you really want an ex-drug dealer patrolling the streets or a pedophile working on your ambulance?

3. zaberman1

zaberman1 Instructor, Scuba

Try contacting Gregg Stanton at the Wakulla Dive Center in North Florida...he is a consultant and one of the authors for the forensic dive program at FSU.

Wakulla Diving Center Florida CCR Training/Repair/Support

4. force-e

force-e Angel Fish

Hi to all again!

I have to admit that the response I received from my initial post was surprising, and depresing. I gave it a week and stopped looking - it wasn't worth my time - I felt like I was in middle school again! I found the replies and the direction that the thread was taking to be completely ridiculous! I have not been back to Scuba Board in any capacity since, but somehow my SPAM filter allowed a recent notification through and it peaked my curiosity!
    I wanted to say thank you to all that took their time to respond with positive information, and to those who sent me pm's, I appreciate it. Best Wishes!

5. muddiver

muddiver Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999

What you fail to realize is that in the U.S. the prevailing view of law enforecment offices is that there are only three types of people in the world: Cops, criminals and those that just have not been cought yet.

6. Jacky Boy

Jacky Boy Angel Fish

:rofl3:

(Id like to point out that as far as I'm concerned the vast majority of the police force in the UK, and I'm sure in the US too, do an oustanding job and are a credit to their communities. However, just like in any other job there are those with prejudices, and/or an inflated view of their own improtance. Unfortunately these people have real power and destroy confidence between the entire police force and the public)

7. bridgediver

an internet forum (or the contents of it) makes you angry?

Since this forum is set up for PSD's - and we all get along OK without getting 'angry' maybe you don't need to participate? Think of your health, man!:shakehead:

My reference to "the game" is the PSD world and you definately do not know it. -- Don't get mad! Its OK to not know everything! I'm sure you know a whole pile of stuff that I do not and I'm not angry

Yes I've had courses and real experience in underwater and water related crime scenes so I'm not talking out my ass. This training I've had is assuredly not available to the public. -- again, don't get excited but thats the way it is
    Curious though. Are you saying that police officers cannot be academics? Who's being elitist now?

Because I understand something that you do not I'm an elitist... OK, if you say so...:confused:
    I'm probably one of the more humble people you'd ever meet (but your mind is made up). Its pretty easy to get into this feild if anyone is so inclined but you do have to follow the process. Its there for a reason that you don't agree with but its there nonetheless. I didn't make the rules but I do understand them.

I'd try to explain it to you so you could understand but... you're angry...

8. Jacky Boy

Jacky Boy Angel Fish

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  9. bridgediver

Sure. But the training I have had is NOT public. You keep saying that it is but I don't know how you'd know this having never taken the training I have taken. Sure you can find books and such but learning the trade from an actual expert in feild is not in books nor is it public domain.

I don't exclude anyone - if you want to be a PSD come on out (my team needs more divers!). Further, I NEVER said I was better than anyone - I took this stuff because its my job and so I could do my job better.
    If anything, you're better off then me by not knowing this crap.
    Again, thanks for the name calling -- real mature of you (calling me an elistist all the time is insulting even if you don't mean it to be - and I'm pretty sure you do mean it as an insult)

Well... You think wrong. Amazing that you think you know me so well after a couple of days of internet banter... What's my favorite colour?

Its evident to me that you don't understand PSD (you even admit that) so I don't know how to explain it to you. It takes a lot more then a convoluted internet discussion to understand this

ditto
    I don't see where I misquoted you BTW

I don't even know what we're talking about anymore - this is beyond ridiculous

10. zaberman1

zaberman1 Instructor, Scuba

why don't we lock this particular thread and whoever wants to keep bantering like little girls can do so through pm's. Absolutely nothing productive has been said/accomplished...