Forensic Diving Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why don't we lock this particular thread and whoever wants to keep bantering like little girls can do so through pm's. Absolutely nothing productive has been said/accomplished...

Well that's not entirely true. I've learnt that I'm an elitest - my wife is thinks its hysterical :D

I do apologize to the rest of you though that the 'discussion' is now basically about -- nothing. I'm very passionate about this feild and I do often get carried away - perhaps the only similarity between Jacky and myself

I'm out!:coffee:

Sure. But the training I have had is NOT public. You keep saying that it is but I don't know how you'd know this having never taken the training I have taken. Sure you can find books and such but learning the trade from an actual expert in feild is not in books nor is it public domain.

I don't exclude anyone - if you want to be a PSD come on out (my team needs more divers!). Further, I NEVER said I was better than anyone - I took this stuff because its my job and so I could do my job better.
If anything, you're better off then me by not knowing this crap.
Again, thanks for the name calling -- real mature of you (calling me an elistist all the time is insulting even if you don't mean it to be - and I'm pretty sure you do mean it as an insult)

Well... You think wrong. Amazing that you think you know me so well after a couple of days of internet banter... What's my favorite colour?

Its evident to me that you don't understand PSD (you even admit that) so I don't know how to explain it to you. It takes a lot more then a convoluted internet discussion to understand this

ditto
I don't see where I misquoted you BTW

I don't even know what we're talking about anymore - this is beyond ridiculous

... I'm bored of this now. You've completely twisted everything Ive said. No I don't know you but your coments make certain aspects of your character compleately clear. I' called it as I saw it, if thats insulting then so be it.

why don't we lock this particular thread and whoever wants to keep bantering like little girls can do so through pm's. Absolutely nothing productive has been said/accomplished...

Your absolutely rite. I apologuise.
Bridge, im sure in person youre very nice.
Everyone else, sorry to take up so much of your time, but if you kept reading then you must have enjoyed it, even just a little.

I know I did.

I'm bored again. Will someone else argue with me please.
Feel free to go to the "Pub" forum here- there will be plenty of takers there. :D

In here it's not really appropriate.

"I will ask the questions that any other responsible training agency should ask. Why would a person who is not a law enforcement officer want to attend an underwater forensic (law enforcement) diving program? How would one benefit from this training other than to possibly to commit the perfect crime?"

Just as someone who was not in law enforcement would be interested in a career in Forensics! I have 7 emails in my Spam folder right now that offer forensics courses to the average Joe looking for a new career and none (that I've seen) require either a background in law enforcement or EMT/fireman.

The inherent judgement --and arrogance-- of the quote by Blades, and the supporting statements of Bridge (who contributed significantly to the inflammatory nature of the thread) are loaded with insulting and provoking language while also hypocritically accusing someone who simply disagreed with them as a name-caller.

Our enemies aren't reading forums on Public Safety diving and they're not going to announce themselves asking FAQ questions easily answered in a dozen other locations or through a simple search of the forums.

This guy asked a simple question that has occurred to many people who would love to dive as their career and I doubt a single one has thought to use the skills in a conspiracy to commit a heinous crime.

Last edited:
I tech several courses to law enforcement and forensic profesionals, but have been asked several times about the value and suitability of making this type of training available to the diving public. There are many reasons for the people to want to learn and participate of this type of activities. One such instance is documenting instances in which damages are caused to coral reefs and other sensitive marine and aquatic environments. There is a programme sponsored by the Central Caribbean Marine Institute called Dive with a Researcher (DWAR), in which the public is invited to participate in marine research activities, depending on the availability of the principal investigators. While conducting my research activities there, I had a few divers participate and learn at the same time my methods and techniques. I believe they are trying to schedule me to do another such course and you should be able to find the information if you google the Central Caribbean Marine Institute, in Little Cayman, Cayman Islands.

Chelopez,

Good reply to a good question that was originally asked...I find your reply interesting because it shows that by thinking "outside the box" that forensics can be applied to endeavors other than crime scene management.

I am pretty new to the PSD dive scene...I have gone through the ERDI training and am learning the ropes on our team. When the call for a PSD mission comes through our team will be reporting as needed and will have to be the ones that attend to the crime scene if it is such ("all PSD scenes are crime scenes until determined otherwise"...I remember). Only one of our divers is law enforcement...a State trooper, nice guy, also a newbie like me...along with his wife who is a paramedic...the rest of us are "Joe Blows" that want to use our diving skills to be of service to the community (newbies to PSD, not diving).

So...no law enforcement in my background or in most of our PSD team...but I, too, would welcome the chance to learn proper forensics methods for when they are needed. I have read the materials that we are provided about forensics and talked about it with the more experienced members but still have much to learn.

Thanks, force-e, for asking a good question.

Ok to avoid an confusion this training tip is for those who can apply because they are a memeber of any Public Safety Agency that may receive Homeland Security grant money. www.manta96.com is the site to the Mid Atlantic Narcotics Training academy they have crime scene diver coursed available for free.

Back
Top Bottom