Foreign material in the first stage.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I received a couple phone pics from my guy doing a service on one of my Conshelf 21 first stages. It was kinda of blurry, but I could see that it was a piece of rusty wire. One was where he found it, and the other was just sitting on his counter. I finally talked to him later and he told me that he found a STAPLE, inside the first stage next to the high pressure seat!:confused: We have no idea how it got there. I postulated that something magnetic had picked up the staple during assembly. We have no idea how it got there, this was a used first stage bought on here, and I was going to have it serviced anyway.

I guess the failure mode for this would have been a free flow, not the opposite. Glad we caught it nonetheless.

Moral of the story: Get the used stuff serviced before you use it.

ETA: Added pics.

Attachments

• 2012-04-01 10.11.07 (Small).jpg
    2012-04-01 10.11.07 (Small).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2012-04-01 10.11.08 (Small).jpg
    2012-04-01 10.11.08 (Small).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Well, that tops my spider living in a (still working) MK V. Can you post the pictures? I'd like to see that...thanks.

Edited

Interesting find. A total WAG, parts usually come in a little bag that has been stapled closed. I could see a loose staple on the bench getting caught in the spring for the reg. Once dropped in it falls off the spring. ??????

Maybe magnetic, or sticky? It also tells me that whoever did the tech work on this needs to be more careful.

Not that I have done it in a reg but, I have used staples and paperclips to fabricate parts to get something running. Scared Silly has the most likely answer.

Bob
----------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

Interesting find. A total WAG, parts usually come in a little bag that has been stapled closed. I could see a loose staple on the bench getting caught in the spring for the reg. Once dropped in it falls off the spring. ??????

Sounds like the most plausable answer. Considering where it was at, the spring would have most likely held it in place and not caused you any problems but still, a good example of why you should service unknown gear before use.

Good example of learning to do your own servicing.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom