Forecasting Airfares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The #1 question I get is when to purchase an airline ticket. I've always said that's a bit into the crystal ball arena (though there are some trends which are observable at predictable times).

However, there's a new tool out there which makes it *much* easier within short time frames to determine if "now" is the right time to purchase.

Farecast (www.farecast.com) is still in beta testing and right now only applicable from 55 cities to destinations within the US. However, it appears to be an excellent tool giving you the empirical data to make the decisions you need. Have been testing it awhile and it's recently expanded from 2 cities to 55. So far, seems to be doing a good job on the markets I was watching.

At the risk of putting myself partially out of business (but still think there's need for me :wink: ) give it a try!

Thanks Amber, I'll take a look. I just got two tickets today for Manila to Denpasar and I found them on Singapore's website for half of what every travel agent quoted me and all the other carriers including Cathay. Even Singapore's own agents told me to check online. Is this typical?

Airfare to Asia is cheaper now than I have paid all year, even with the fuel surcharges.

Dennis, Singapore Air will often have web-only fares that beat all to heck what agents can sell. Especially within a month of flying, they can be a fabulous bargain. I even look there myself.

I'm looking forward to Farecast branching out beyond the US borders!

Burbunny are you a travel agent who shares inside tips? :D

TheRedHead:
Burbunny are you a travel agent who shares inside tips? :D

How strange is that?

But yes, since I view myself as providing a service, I don't restrict information flow. I think we're all better served when we have information. Being just an "order taker" is no fun. I'm a travel agent because I love the research and sharing what I know (not ot mention learning more).

There will be people who take what I share and book on their own or even take it to another agent. No problem. I'd have not gotten that business anyway most likely. But there will be people who like my style, appreciate my information, and come to me for their travel. I'll have helped people either way, so that's a good day.

But shhhh, don't tell the other agents out there... they may come and kick me out of the club :wink:

Great site, I have been wanting a site like this for a long time. I like the grid - gives you a really quick look at when to fly if you are flexable.

Thanks for shareing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom