'Forced Refresher Courses' in Cebu??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>
All the International Airports in the country are tourists UNFRIENDLY.

You think so? I never found them to be any different than airports anywhere else. The ferries can be a whole other story, though...

nice thread derail. went from interpreting new regulations to "rate my airport".

I have pretty low expectations from an airport. Free wifi is always nice, tho.

i think most are "spoiled" with lux service requirements. Go thru Kosrea or Chuuk Airports in the Micronesian islands. open air buildings and all.

back on topic. wish someone would chime in with a better idea of what the requirement actually is.

Roger, Where are you? You live on Cebu and teach there. Any reaction? Remember, I still owe you beers when we get to Magic Island next February.

rob

I am not really paying attention to this- as it is proposed legislation, with out input from anyone in the industry, or to the best of my knowledge input from the PCSSD(a government agency in-charge of regulating the industry)... The Philippines is a funny place when it comes to laws and politics...

Cheers,
Roger

I am not really paying attention to this- as it is proposed legislation, with out input from anyone in the industry, or to the best of my knowledge input from the PCSSD(a government agency in-charge of regulating the industry)... The Philippines is a funny place when it comes to laws and politics...

Cheers,
Roger

So you think this will just quietly go away and not amount to anything? I hope so...

Then stay out of Europe and the US and Australia then!!

:w-t-f: are you talking about? There are no laws in the US stating that all visitors must complete a refresher course prior to doing any dive. I can't speak for Europe & Australia but I would go out on a limb and say that neither of them say it either. Quebec in Canada has something similar but not identical.

But it seems slightly snobish to bin the place from your future travel on the basis of this.

Again, :w-t-f: are you talking about? We all have limited time and resources that we are able to allocate to this wonderful hobby of ours. All it takes is a location to do something stupid and I will gladly take my money to another of the hundreds of wonderful destinations. I spent several weeks in Thailand and I was not forced to do a refresher......that automatically puts Thailand up well above Cebu for me. Lots of other places do not force me to do a refresher......they are now above Cebu. I have been forced to display a couple skills in water (pool) before a dive.....that I was OK with. That took no time and did not cost me any money.

From everything I have been told, Cebu has nice diving but it is not the hot spot of the Phillipines for a reason. This is just what I have been told and not first hand judgement.

I am positive that what it says is that you have to have had 10hrs of training and be certified to dive. So anyone who has completed their OW or above is in the clear.

Sadly your interpretation means F all to anybody with the regulation being written as it seems to be. It is VERY clear. Your may be right, but until the regulation gets rewritten to reflect the true intention, it says exactly what it says.

So you think this will just quietly go away and not amount to anything? I hope so...

Hi Anna,

I believe it amounts to a group of City Lawmakers trying to help make a relatively safe industry(of which they are clueless) safer. I dont interpret this as a requirement for refreshers but rather keeping uncertified divers from being accepted as clients. It also puts major constraints on DSDs as has been discussed earlier...

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom