'Forced Refresher Courses' in Cebu??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my interpretation:

I saw this on another board yesterday...
In his proposed ordinance that was passed on first reading last Monday, no diver may be allowed to join any open water diving activity without completing 10 hours of combined classroom and pool water training activities.

Read as: all divers must show proof of certification with an agency that does require such standards (most actually do and 10 hours is a bare minimum actually). any combination of 10 hours is possible between theory/pool/open water according to this 'legislation.' maybe too many wannabe divers these days take to the water without proper training and the LDS is in a lose/lose situation cos if they don't take the wannabe then the LDS gets splashed on the good ole internet as 'SUCKS.' and everyone here avoids the LDS.
[/QUOTE]

The trainings to be done by a certified diving instructor and dive master should also include proper use, preventive maintenance and care of diving equipment and demonstration of first aid, mouth-to-mouth and CPR capabilities.

Read as: no more hanky panky "I pay, you certify me" dive pros allowed. From the mouth of a regional dive agency director: 80% of instructors here do not know how to set up an emergency O2 delivery system.

Possible motive: actually trained dive pros want the local garden variety self proclaimed dive 'guides' out of the water and out of the market. applies to 'local' instructors as well as those who 'teach their friends' to scuba dive but are not agency qualified instructors.

Divers must also be told about diving hazards related to the marine animals present and terrain of the area.

Read as: a dive brief must be provided and you must be informed that there are things in the sea that can injure and kill you. as well as currents, rip tides, surges, waves, overhead environments etc.

Penalties for violation of the ordinance is pegged at P5,000 or imprisonment of at least one year upon the discretion of the court.

Read as: its up to them to prosecute based on how much kick backs they received from whom or who's related to whom against whom else.

“If the divers are professionals and they are diving not related to scuba school diving activities but for leisure, pleasure, entertainment, research they should also comply with the 10 hour requirement.

Read as: no exceptions to rules above even if you're a 'scientist, marine biologist, aqualogist, sexologist or scientologist.'

They should also be accompanied by a diving master. No one is also allowed to dive alone as the ordinance also requires a diving buddy.

Read as: 'unlicensed' DMs who have not 'paid' their dues are not permitted to lead divers. also, all divers must have DMs/guides with them at all times. .... so much for solo diving in the Philippines (maybe this one is not such a bad idea since many noobs think they are all Jacques Costeau reincarnations)

Those operating scuba diving schools must also present a valid license from a government agency.

Read as: (officially) fill our coffers please. (Unofficially) you have to know someone who knows someone who knows someone, or pay a lot of money maybe to get your license and keep it. or at the governing person's pleasure.

The ordinance will only take effect in component cities and towns of the province which excludes Lapu-Lapu City where most scuba diving activities are prevalent.

Read as: if you dive and die in some far out place we don't want the statistics and the social responsibility. but don't die in our area of operation then blame it on the LDS and eventually the local government for not regulating the sport / activity more by allowing unlicensed and unprepared operators who have no emergency O2 equipment.

My take: probably prompted by
1) too many incidents and complaints from tourists. China is a huge market for Cebu right now due to the rare 'direct flight' availability.
2) too many noveau riche snoober divers wanna go it alone, go deeper without training (read the thread on more training) and/or are too excited (read the thread on wrong dive comp reading in Truk) and are putting the industry at risk.
3) too many people who think they know what's right for everyone else
4) the neverending quest for 'cheap diving'

All in all, its good liberal social democracy at work coupled with the mighty invisible hand economy augmented by Hobbesian behaviour! :D

Nothing really special, Singapore is moving along these lines of recreational dive industry 'regulations.'

No idea where Cebu is but I can tell you I won't be going there.flots.
Wow. That is pretty special. You have know idea even about the location of the place but you're saying that.You don't like the fact that the government wants to add rules to keep you safe? Then stay out of Europe and the US and Australia then!!Unfortunately in this case the government are trying to do something without discussion with the industry pros who could help them come up with realistic safety recommendations. But it seems slightly snobish to bin the place from your future travel on the basis of this.I am positive that what it says is that you have to have had 10hrs of training and be certified to dive. So anyone who has completed their OW or above is in the clear.

Hey, don't anyone tell them about specialty courses! // ww

Wow. That is pretty special. You have know idea even about the location of the place but you're saying that.You don't like the fact that the government wants to add rules to keep you safe? Then stay out of Europe and the US and Australia then!!Unfortunately in this case the government are trying to do something without discussion with the industry pros who could help them come up with realistic safety recommendations. But it seems slightly snobish to bin the place from your future travel on the basis of this.I am positive that what it says is that you have to have had 10hrs of training and be certified to dive. So anyone who has completed their OW or above is in the clear.

Big difference between minimal, rational, well thought out rules (few to none in the USA, BTW) and stupid, unnecessarily cumbersome rules. The latter will result in a loss of tourist $$$. I am not at all confident that your interpretation is correct. Just too many words to be that simple (and reasonable).

Matt_Reed:

Voting with your dollars by boycotting places you don't agree with can be legitimate and effective.

And many of us on the forum intensely dislike governments restricting us to 'keep us safe.'

Getting a bad reputation amongst scuba tourists and losing out on tourist dollars could be a wake up call for the government.

Let's remember; the government didn't have to act. They could've left well enough alone.

Richard.

Roger, Where are you? You live on Cebu and teach there. Any reaction? Remember, I still owe you beers when we get to Magic Island next February.

rob

The last thing I want to do on vacation is sit through a 10 hour course going over things I already know, so if this is the case, then Cebu is off my list too.

I am willing to do checkout dives with a dive operator (such as those in Cozumel), but checkout dives are a lot more fun that a classroom.

It sounds like a communication error. That could easily be translated to: "no one who has not taken a scuba certification course can dive off Cebu".
The 10 hours of class, 10 hours in water training is about what an open water course entails.
I wouldn't get all excited about this. And yes, I would go to dive Cebu tomorrow if I had time. And I would bet 4 San Miguels that I could dive unmolested.

Back
Top Bottom