force or split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I think for any fin on the market that it's styled for specific types of uses. (i.e. 'specific types of use' means how the person uses the fins) That would explain why person A does better with fin B than does person C.

Ed

Now everyone has me scared. I bought force fins, because my instructor to be said they are great and he wouldn't use anything else. I was told they greatly reduce leg fatigue, and that's why I was interested. I have Fibromyalgia which is a neuro-muscular illness that causes extreme fatigue and pain in all muscles. Since I have a tendency to get cramps in my calf muscles anyway, and he told me these would reduce that chance, I willingly paid the extral money. Am I crazy? or what? I figure that if I am not used to any other kind when I start, that I will think they work great too. But what do I know, I'm still learning.

I do know that when I tried different fins on in the store, these felt a lot lighter and more comfortable to my "tired, fatigued" legs. So, maybe they will be the best choice for me. :)

Anyway, it's one of them. It's always best if you can try before you buy. Or at least get a "swap for something else" guarantee. Most all shops will accommodate you on this because a dis-satisfied customer is usually a lost customer and a satisfied one will return. That being said, you'll probably like the forcefins because they are effortless to kick, which negates to no cramps. But get your instructor to instruct you on the proper kick technique with them.

Thanks, he did tell me that with force fins, one would use the same kind of flutter kick as with a regular crawl in swimming. That sounded good to me, because I am a good swimmer. He explained that they use thight and foot muscles instead of calf muscles, so I should be able to learn to use them. He said he will let me exchange anything but the snorkel, and about that I can understand. I wouldn't want someone's reject either...yuck!

Hello,

OK w/ force fins it's more of a swimming kick or like riding a bicycle (some say it's like walking but maybe more like jogging/running) If you goto the home page they have 2 movies of an in water demo on how to use them. Just remember to keep the fins IN THE WATER AT ALL TIMES. This is perhaps the #1 mistake people make with any fin, they will splash the surface and reduce the effeciency greatly.

Yes they do reduce leg cramping but that's from not having to hyperextend the muscles. I had one leg cramp while using the force fins but that was in the pool and because of the methods I was useing (I was testing various methods)

Personaly if it was me I would stick with the force fins which you already own.

Ed

I have been using Force fins for five years now and am very satisfied. They fit high on my foot such that I use my ankle on the power stroke. They are also a little shorter and lighter than my previous fins and are easier to pack.

Not as good for snorkeling but I'm not going to travel with two sets of fins!!

Originally posted by artsprite
Now everyone has me scared. I bought force fins, because my instructor to be said they are great and he wouldn't use anything else. I was told they greatly reduce leg fatigue, and that's why I was interested. I have Fibromyalgia which is a neuro-muscular illness that causes extreme fatigue and pain in all muscles. Since I have a tendency to get cramps in my calf muscles anyway, and he told me these would reduce that chance, I willingly paid the extral money. Am I crazy? or what? I figure that if I am not used to any other kind when I start, that I will think they work great too. But what do I know, I'm still learning.

You really would benefit from split fins. If you are not doing any serious tech diving I reccomend the Twin Jet's.. NOT THE BLACK ONE.. either the blue or grey's .. they are softer than the blacks and are the easiest to kick that I've tried..

Personally I prefer the ATOMIC's but they feel much more like a traditional fin than the Twin's..

Good Luck man.. :D

One of the reasons I switched to Force fins was that my previous fins were too tiring. With Force fins I have had no trouble in current and my legs do not wear out by the middle of a dive. Also have excellent control when hovering over a cleaning station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom