force or split fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abe archer

Reaction score
I currently use force fins. What would the advantages be to change to a split fin? Or stay with force fin? If split fin, which is best?

my impression is that force fins are pretty useless on the surface. so, if you ever need to tow anybody, or swim to the boat in a strong current, they may not be the best things to have on.

Force fins and any other non split-fin have been shown in real-world testing not as efficient.Everyone I know that has used a split-fin licensed from Natures Wing ,the inventor is dumbfounded that anyone would use anything else.I swim by guys in current even wearing doubles.I even swim by guys waring the vaunted Mares Quattros and Volos.Try this test .Get a shop to lend or rent you a pair and time youself in pool,test your air consumption and check your speed.I'll bet when you're done you'll see.But there are some drawbacks 1. They're expensive 2. You'll have to wait for people at least until they get some.

I guess it is okay to repeat myself--even though my boys no longer live at home--and say that we have retired our Quattros and swear by our Apollos. Now, we don't use doubles or engage in races with young, well-endowed dudes, but we sure do not have trouble staying with a group--in terms of speed or air consumption.

Never tried Force Fins, but they sure look funny--I guess the split fins used to also. We only tried the various brands of split fins available in the Fall of last year and the Apollos seemed the most comfortable. My advice: try everything your shops sell--my dive shop actually had a policy of allowing you to return the split fins for a full refund if you were not satisfied. But most shops will let you use fins, masks, etc. in their pools...so give everything you are interested in a try...

Joewr

to jump in on this on-going debate, I must agree with "100 days". I traded my beloved Beauchat Gold Fins--which I still find give me more power for less air consumption than any other normal fin I had ever used, for the ScubaPro Twin Jet Graphite split fins. After using the ScubaPro twin jets, I can honestly say there is a huge and noticable difference in effort and air consumption with the split fins. In a strong current, the Beauchat Gold Fins still surpass anything on the market for raw power. But how often do you need the power of an ultra long stiff pair of fins like the Gold Fins, or specically made free diving fins??

JeffW

I recently went from a Farce Fin to the SP Lighting Jet fin and haven't looked back since. At this point I am as happy with Jets as any fin I've owned.

Sam

P.S. The spring heels straps are really nice.

I have both the force and Apollos.The Apollo's are definately better on the surface and take a little getting used to below the surface but are fine.I tend to swap between the pairs as it suits.I have 3 sets of fins so my choices are there.But I used my Apollo's for my leadership assessment swim and I aced that in 15min 25 secs.Definately worth the cost to me.
You can have your cake and eat it if you have the cash...
Try both...
Chow from the Gasman.

Hello,

I've been using force fins for about 12 years now. Both on and below the surface. I find that they are very good at agility and no fins i've tried comes close. I've doing the snorkel, surface tow, current, etc. with them and find them to be acceptable and really great fins.

They do take some getting use to but once your past the break in period they are really good. To compare these fins with others w/o doing any extended testing OR to know how you must use the fins properly is not an accurate or reliable test. BTW 'power' comes from the LEGs and *NOT* from the fins as the companies will have you think. This is why person A will 'swim by' person B in a current.

Ed

I just bought those new splitfins by Atomix & I absolutely love them. I always found myself struggling to keep up with my husband & his best friend & now they can hardly keep up with me!

You have to get used to kicking a bit differently, but my air consumption was less & I expend less energy. I was in some heavy current just 2 days ago & my husband & I were the only ones able to complete the dive & I give full credit to my splitfins (he uses these extra long Cressis).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom