Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morg_NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the force fins? and if you have ....what's your opinion?

I'l looking for a new pair of fins and am just looking at the price of them
icosm13.gif

There expensive and I don't want to waste my cash on something that's not going to be worth it.

Can you help?

Morg_NZ:

icosm13.gif

There expensive and I don't want to waste my cash on something that's not going to be worth it.

Can you help?

I tried the Force Fin and they do not work well with large amounts of equipment on, thus I did not like them.

I didn't think much of the standard size Force Fins, I bought a pair, and sure they had some positive attributes, in the end I gave them away and bought a pair of Mares Quatros. Buddies tell me I would have liked the really long? Force Fins better, I am not really sure about that either.

I asked the store if there was a pair that I could try, however they claim not to have a pair.

Other than that I don't know of anyone that uses them. I only was looking at them after doing a little online snooping. I read that they produced the most force forward of any fin and that they were easier to manouvor{spelt wrong} in.

I do agree that you will either love them or hate them. I tried a pair in the pool and to me they sucked. I have seen several others try them and they also agree that they aren't worth the extra money. If you really have to have a pair then buy them used off of e-bay.
Are they cool looking and does GI Joe wear a pair? Yes. Are they worth the money? Not in my book.

It really depends on your style of diving.... My wife and I are both dedicated jet fin users, we've both tried the force fins, she hated them, I thought they were ok.
They were dreadful for frog kick, which we both use almost exclusively. If you like flutter kicking, then you may really love the force fin, it works well if you keep a very short kick cycle with constant movement. I will say that they are very fast, the few people I know who use them are difficult to keep up with when they take off on you. They are light, and small, so it's feels like there's nothing on your feet with them on.
If you dive in silty environments, you will likely wreak havoc on the bottom with these fins. One of our occasional dive buddies was leaving craters with light kicking about 5-6' off the bottom.... it's like a focused punch of water off these things. Perhaps with time and practice, one could develop a decent frog kick, or keep the silting under control..... I couldn't say.
There are so many different styles... I used the standard, the others could be very different.... I can't speak for them.
I hope this helps, they are very expensive though aren't they?

chris

Morg_NZ:

icosm13.gif

Can you help?
I have used force fins for 5/6 yrs tried loads(no all of the splits and blades)of others but came back to force fins.
To each their own

in a pool, couldn't wait to take them off.

If you are a jet fin user, and/or possess greater-than-average musculature in your legs (e.g. I'm a speed skater and mountain biker), then the regular, pro, extra, Force Fins will feel dreadful on you.

I suggest you try out the Excellerating Force Fins. They have almost the same "feel" (resistance) that Jet Fin users are used to on the downward stroke, but possess very little resistance on the return stroke, thus sparing your calves. They are also highly efficient and very fast.

Of all the Force Fins that I have tested out, only the Excellerating Force Fins perform somewhat like the Jet Fins during surface swims. The others break through the surface of the water on the return stroke too easily, drastically reducing propulsion efficiency.

If you are going to test the fins in the pool, I suggest grabbing a tank and ensuring that you are totally submerged during the entire test. Their performance while finning on the surface do not justify their higher price.

I had no problems with my regular Excellerating Force Fins, a pair of twin AL80s on my back, and a 40 cu. ft. clipped on my left.

(I'm using the regular (black) Excellerating Force Fins because I have trouble justifying paying 100% more for less than 10% more efficiency on their Tan Delta model).

The Excellerating Force Fins also allows you to perform frog kicks with ease--something which cannot be said for the other Force Fin models.

-BubbaFetta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom