Force Fins--dare I ask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I here you there. I own the original force fins but use them exlusivly for pool work. The dive shop I work for carries the entire line of FF and your right that all of them are extremely easy to kick. The Tan Delta fins are pretty much by themselves in comparing them to any other fin. As you stated that you have a strong kick, I squat about 600lbs so I have some power also and I still found them way to stiff to use?

Picking up this thread again...

Force Fin Excellerating or Extra, what about them? Has anyone actually tried them out?

FF_extra.jpg

Since converting to wing/backplate/web configuration I've come to the conclusion my beloved Force Fins Pro dosn't do the job anymore. Less drag through the water is problably the reason why I feel they don't match my new "slick".

But what about the bigger Force Fins? Has anyone tried them on, preferably with drysuit and ving/plate config?

I have an old pair of Scubapro Nordic Fin. It looks a bit like the Jet Fins, but lacks the vents. It even says "Full Power - Non vented" on them! Anyway, since I've tried the jet Fins with my new equipement, these are most likely the be purchased soon. But I would like experience made opinions on the other FF. Why? Because I really love the way they fits my feet!

doole:
Been using'em for near ten years. Love'm.

Ok, how do they compare to my FF Pro's?

-And how do they compare to Jet Fins???

I'm not so much into frog kicking, and I hate swimming beside a buddy that does it! Keeps kicking me in my face, chest or leg...

But since I'm a former competition swimmer (those younger days...), I really like the short and fast kick of the FF Pro's. But as stated before, now they are a bit soft since I have less drag with my new equipement.

Will the Tan's do the job for me that the Pro's no longer can?

KOMPRESSOR:
Ok, how do they compare to my FF Pro's?

-And how do they compare to Jet Fins???

I'm not so much into frog kicking, and I hate swimming beside a buddy that does it! Keeps kicking me in my face, chest or leg...

But since I'm a former competition swimmer (those younger days...), I really like the short and fast kick of the FF Pro's. But as stated before, now they are a bit soft since I have less drag with my new equipement.

Will the Tan's do the job for me that the Pro's no longer can?

Can't tell you how they compare to Jets. If you like FF's to begin with then very favorably, I imagine.

I have Pros too, so I consider myself qualified to comment. I can tell you that I am into frog kicking - in fact moreso than not - and I like both models of fins for that.

However:

With a heavier load (i.e. drysuit) I think I like the pros better. Not sure why. I think I got used to kicking at more or less the same speed all the time and the FFs accomodate that, something like a torque converter. Just a guess.

doole:
Can't tell you how they compare to Jets. If you like FF's to begin with then very favorably, I imagine.

I have Pros too, so I consider myself qualified to comment. I can tell you that I am into frog kicking - in fact moreso than not - and I like both models of fins for that.

However:

With a heavier load (i.e. drysuit) I think I like the pros better. Not sure why. I think I got used to kicking at more or less the same speed all the time and the FFs accomodate that, something like a torque converter. Just a guess.

How you do your frog kick with the FFs is a mystery to me, especially with the Pro's! I do frog kicks with my Nordic fins and I've tried out the Jet Fins. these two are about the same. But if I try anything like a frog kick with my FF Pros, it's simply "wrong way" for my FF blades!

Well, that's not a problem since I'm not a frog kick lover.(Fried frog legs, however!)

Since the Tan is (much?) stiffer, they might give me the propulsion I miss with my FF Pros now. I'll see if I can get to try them soonest.

I used FF's from when they first came on the market back in the early 80's. Shops in Hawaii would buy them, and then when no one would buy them, they would remainder them. I got a lot of pairs pretty cheaply.
Last year, I used a pair of Foils for a while. I liked them a lot but I still eBayed them. I only dive off boats, mostly my own now, so I just slide on a pair of lime green Plana full foots.
Those Tan Deltas sure looked enticing, but even wholesale I bet is still way up there. My favorite all-time fins for stiffness and propulsion were the old Voit black UDT open heel fins. I used those for years until the heel strap tore one sad day.

KOMPRESSOR:
How you do your frog kick with the FFs is a mystery to me, especially with the Pro's! I do frog kicks with my Nordic fins and I've tried out the Jet Fins. these two are about the same. But if I try anything like a frog kick with my FF Pros, it's simply "wrong way" for my FF blades!

Well, that's not a problem since I'm not a frog kick lover.(Fried frog legs, however!)

Since the Tan is (much?) stiffer, they might give me the propulsion I miss with my FF Pros now. I'll see if I can get to try them soonest.

Frog kick is the same as many other things with the FFs - bend your knees more. In the case of a frog kick, almost 90 degrees. As for frog legs, sorry - just tastes like greasy chicken, to me.

Tom Winters:
-------> Those Tan Deltas sure looked enticing, but even wholesale I bet is still way up there. My favorite all-time fins for stiffness and propulsion were the old Voit black UDT open heel fins. I used those for years until the heel strap tore one sad day.

Yeah, well I don't really care about the price if the fin is right. It's not something I need a new pair of every year. FF's sure can take a beating! Never heard of one breaking, ever.

So back to the TAN Force Fin. Anyone who has compared them to other fins? Like for instance Jet Fins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom