Force Fins 12.04.07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all that box and the price are classic. I believe you could not find those two together for the last 3 years or so? Anyway, if the fin looks like the one on the box minus the color and your buddy checked the stiffness I am sure it is a PRO. The name fish might have been for the store that was selling it. It could have been sold to an outdoor sporting goods store that uses them for Float Tubing and that sticker indicates that stores department? The fin you have is an Original Force Fin: Force Fin
or a Pro Force Fin Pro Force Fin: Force Fin

I have been diving with force fins while working on salmon farms in B.C. for a couple of years, and believe these are the best fins if you are swimming any type of distance. You need to give them at least a couple of dives, nobody seems to like them at first, I hated them, but if you give them a few dives you get used to them, and they rule if you know how to use them. You need to do a sort of a reverse bicycle kick, slow and steady, and let the fins flex and push the water, this is how they work. If you try to kick too fast you'll "spin out" and go nowhere, you need to keep a steady rythem and adjust speed without breaking it. Eventually all types will crack right where the boot socket meets the fin bottom with use, but I have seen many pairs go a long time, mine have been well used, just take care not to fold the fin over. And force fin replaces broken fins once I believe. We had a box full of force fins that had lost their partners, and I have seen guys wearing two different colors on many occasions when a fin was lost was lost or broken.

I have visited the fish pens in your area and they are very impressive and so is the work that it takes to keep them running properly. Concerning the cracks I received the following info from the Force Fin quality control department:

Thank you for sharing your experience with Force Fin with the Scubaboard members and guests. What Force Fin model do you use? I do believe that the Force Fin is lasting longer than other fins, and in natural water use the incidence of breakage is miniscule. Our replacement percentage for all reasons, exchange of size, etc., is included in these numbers along with warranty is .002%. That is extremely low for any product or industry.

Concerning the kick you use I would like to share the following and ask if you have seen the following video on the Force Fin Website and comments from the Vice President of the company
Dolphin Instructors
and
Jens Hilbert Movie 01

if you use a bicycle kick - or drop your knee forward with any fin, you create drag. The straighter the leg the less drag generated, but Force Fins are very forgiving of any kick, so if you need to bend your leg back a little for comfort, then go for it, but don't drop it forward like a bicycle. Flexibility, or lack thereof in the hamstring will determine how much someone bends their knee, but we found that has to do with the diver, not the fin.

Thanks again for your feedback! Do you have any pictures posted on the scubaboard of the pens underwater?

I just changed to force fins. I am a women's 10 and a half boot, ff's are xxl. My bootie has a hard sole. I really put them to the test this weekend, fossil diving in the Cooper River. 4 one hour dives in strong current.... Now, for those of you have never river dived for fossils- This one is considered blackwater and the power plant sends surges of water to add to the current. The tides really do affect the Cooper , so you have to deal with that too. I was told that we needed a full day of four dives before we really tried finding fossils, so we could learn how to manuever. Picks were mandatory to help anchor you as you kick hard for the entire dive. They also said my kids would never be able to do this challenging dive. They don't know my kids.. They did all dives and found the most teeth.
I have crushed my left ankle (still have floating bone fragments and a detached ligament. Pain All the time, but surgery will cut up my diving time...) I have no cartilege in either knee. I'm just broken... These dives should have left me way downstream and unable to walk for a few days.
I had no trouble in the current and was surprised that I felt like I should be kicking harder, but just didn't need to. You get trained to look for the resistance..... The force fins are kind and really work. I am a believer. I gave my twin jets to my daughter. She can't have my force fins. I'll get her her own pair soon I bet. Added to that, the other two adults who had scoffed at my fins and my children, did the first dive and quit! It was too hard for them to handle and the went back to the docks. Their loss for sure.
And we found 26 whole megalodon teeth! Also 28 partials, Whale bone fossils, sting ray barbs.. and other unidentified bone fragments... Wow!

Last edited:
I have had and used my Pro FF's for 16 plus years. I love them, in fact I bought a second pair!
Yes I do get some funny looks but, I do look funny. They are a sweet fins. And yes they are worth every cent.
See you topside! John

The force fin is a no-brainer. I believe the main problem with those that dislike them is their inability to adjust to the lack of resistance. I will admit, it does take a while to get used to the feel, but once you reach that point, you'll never go back to a conventional fin.

Now, most sport divers are in the water for an hour at a time, more or less, just taking in the scenery, and most conventional fins will be 'OK' for the challenge of a strong current, but if you find yourself having to really kick for an extended amount of time, you're going to find that the force fins are by far, superior.

The stiff legged kick that most of us are used to is not required while using these fins. You can use a bicycle kick, frog or dolphin kick with a result of excellent forward thrust. Also, making quick turns or spins are much easier as well, as the force fin blades do not have the raised 'edge bracing' you find on almost all other fins. consequently, there is no lateral resistance from the blade while making turns.

I've found that just spreading your toes while kicking, seems to contribute to the 'right method'. The first time I did this, I remember thinking to myself.." Now I know what these fins are all about!"

I know many commercial divers that swear by them. I, as well, feel that they are the best fins available. The navy seals use them, as do many special forces units around the world.

The materials used to mold force fins are top quality and are by no means cheap. This has much to do with their higher price, but it is the superior materials that contribute to the amazing durability they possess. I've had a pair for 15 years and they are as resilient and flexable as they were when I bought them and I've logged thousands of dives since then.

My main use for these fins has been while working as a 'golf ball retriever'. Some of you may think that's an easy job and no real challenge for a fin. Well, I can tell you, nothing could be farther from the truth. 'You' try swimming with 70 pounds of golf balls around your neck, while pulling a floating compressor through thick weeds for the length of a football field. Also, try it for five or six hours at a time....I used to do this on a regular basis and 'then' play with a showband that night, for another four hours. The force fin allowed me to do this 'without' leg cramps or muscle fatigue.

They pack easier than most other fins and are lighter than most other brands. Also, the optional bungie cord heel strap is a must have for those who have experienced the frustration of wrestling with clips and assorted weird release systems you find on other fins. I know a couple of divers that have thrown their backs out just trying to pull off their conventional fins. The chances of that happening with the force fin bungie strap system are slim to none.

Another great bonus with these fins, is that I can drive a golf cart while wearing them, do to the shorter blade length! I put them on once and leave them on all day, as walking forward in them is a breeze.

Their user support is about the best I've experienced anywhere. I found that Bob Evans, the company's founder and inovative designer, is very accessable to those who have any questions or problems. He's also a great guy just to talk with.

Please, do yourself a favor, fork out the extra cash and get yourself a pair, but use them on a number of dives to get used to them. I have no doubt that if you do, you'll become an avid, force fin fan!

my beloved force fin pro give way...

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 66
Chris1511tay, I like to see that beloved Force Fin, some thing looks funny with the poly-Urethane material. Best Bob Evans

hi bb, quite difficult to let you see,i stay in the tropical island of singapore. wield things that I observe from the fins is that crack line is present on both fins.

Chris151tay, thanks for your reply. Please visit my distributor in Singapore, Dive Master Pratama. I like to know what they think. In any regards I think Blair has a offer for you. Best bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom