Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a shorty in July/Aug. shore diving in CT and usually my 7 mil farmer john in winter on the FL panhandle (55-65 water).
If the water there is over 60F I may take off the "pants" and over 65 I may use the shorty.

I dove NE out of NJ for 20 years before moving to FL -- so I thought this prospective might be helpful. I dive a 1 mil in FL for shallow dives during the warm months and a 3 mil for any other time and anything deeper than 100 fsw. I was never comfortable in anything but a dry suit in the NE except in shallow water during the mid-late Summer. That being said, you may want to wait on investing in a 5 mil wetsuit in an effort to find a solution for both locales. Rent first and see if you are happy. If you are going to do a lot of NE diving you may want to go with a dry suit and keep your wetsuit/bathing suit for the tropical stuff. Diving dry is nearly as valuable a skill/technology as Nitrox when you are diving in cool/cold waters, IMHO. Also, this will open up the opportunity to dive more months in the NE.

Yup. On a budget...I'd say get a 5mm wetsuit and use it at both locales. I've done 44*-82* in a 5mm wetsuit. Yes...I realize that is not idea.

Anything north of 52* is comfortable (to me) in a 5mm. From 44*-50*....I would say that it wasn't particularly comfortable, but that if you're cold tolerant...you can deal with it. I will say though that at x < 50*...I was looking at the SPG VERY often. Along the lines of a student staring at the clock in class...hoping that it would be over sooner, rather than later.

If you're planning on diving x < 52* on a regular basis or you are not cold tolerant, you might want to start putting some money aside for a dry suit.

On gloves...I'm good with 3mm down to about 52*. Anything under 52*, I need 5mm.

Gloves-- For me, 65+= reef gloves. 50-65= 5finger gloves. Below 50F= 3 finger "lobster mitts".
As a rule....Air temp./time of year may vary these somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom