For what it's worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done some cavern dives in Fl but my wife will not want to. So each charter goes to different places base on conditions I am guessing. What are typical conditions at Molokini? I think she is fine with 80' but I dont want her to deal with too much current. Thanks for the info..

I have done some cavern dives in Fl but my wife will not want to. So each charter goes to different places base on conditions I am guessing. What are typical conditions at Molokini? I think she is fine with 80' but I dont want her to deal with too much current. Thanks for the info..

The conditions and mix of divers on the boat are both factors in the decision. None of the reputable op's will force divers to fight significant current, but drift diving in medium current is not hard for most well trained divers. If there are multiple day divers on board, they may not want to repeat sites visited in the last couple trips. If there are newbs on board they may not do the live drop/pick-up dives at Molokini. 95+% of the time a Molokini trip has favorable conditions for the guests.

While I concur it is not good business to take inexperienced divers to many of the dive sites here and also that the dive industry here needs to take some responsibilty and quit just trying to make a quick buck. The dive shop and the DM should have verified certifications and realized the divers were not certified to make any of the wreck dives and should have told the divers they could not make the dive. And at the very least advised the divers of the conditions. Some shops do need to realize that sometimes it is just better to call a dive and dive another day and realize the customers will enjoy themselves much more if the dive in better conditions or on a better day then just get the customers in the water and let them have a horrible time. Too many shops think short term instead of thinking if they have a horrible time they will probably not come back and will probably tell their friends not to dive.
The divers also need to take some responsibility. From what I read they were open water divers and of their own free will dove a site for which they were not certified for. I don't think the DM or the boat captain forced any of the divers in the water.Also divers are responsible for planning and diving their own profile, the DM and boat captain merely choose the site and give the basics of a dive. Also the divers need to understand bouyancy better.

Well, she did take responsibility for the decision to dive. I would think the problem would be the bait & switch issue.

You booked the day based on 3 shallow dives as advertised on the website. The night before you get a call and it's changed. You only have the one day to dive, so you go along with it. I acknowlege that the operator was trying to get good viz for their customers by changing the plan. I acknowledge that they gave the customers the choice. I wish the operator had not mentioned that the 3 shallow dive profile was not profitable for their business, though. That is sort of what reeks of bait and switch, to me.

Yes, they could have decided not to go. But, as divers, if you have your heart set on diving, it is difficult to cancel at the last minute, without a plan B.

She said she learned from this experience. I think it was a good lesson to pass along.

Advertising a 3-tank shallow dive trip and going to 100 feet on the first dive is bad business. Not doing a very thorough current check and briefing accordingly is bad divemastering. Agreeing to do a dive outside your training/experience/comfort level is bad diver judgement. I am glad this scenario ended without tragedy.

As far as the manta ray night dive in Kona. This dive is typically described as an easy dive. And for good reason. It IS typically an easy dive. The depth is generally 30-40 feet. And some (not all) dive shops do it as a 2-tank so divers can sort themselves out on the first dive and therefore hopefully feel more comfortable on the second dive. However, no matter how easy a dive is, there is always the possibility that the conditions may turn out to be less than perfect. Divers should not feel slighted if an easy dive ends up having some challenges due to conditions. This is certainly different than selling a 30 foot dive and then taking the diver to 100 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom