For those of you who were wondering about me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well that post wednesday is a hoot because it took me over two hours to write that as i was really having to retype it because i couldnt type straight.

as a report on the surgury they removed a total of 10 inches of instestines (4 large, 6 small) and the pathology report noted veary active crohns in those areas with large mass of ulcers. tuesday is mostly a blur as they kept me pretty much drugged as sleep and non movement is the best thing. wednesday was like tuesday but i was a little more concious and i was able to get online and check a few things. yesterday was a real good day as i was able to get up and walk around so as to get everything working again. it was also at this time that they took me off the morphine pump and switched to vicodin, which didnt bother me as i really wasnt hurting that much as i have been sleeping most of the time. Today was a real big day in that i finally came off the continous IV fluids since i had been doing well by drinking a good volume of water on my own with out any problems, also since i had been getting up and around well on my own they also give me a solid diet today which as i was startingto wonder what real food tasted like (lol). today also with the good news i got a visit from some med school students who were doing some class work and choose me as i have a lengthy(to put nicely) medical history with crohn's. so for about 2.5 hours we went over my case history and a mini physcial exam (for which i found out that my plus is much strong in my feet then in my neck, which to me was a little odd)and they explained to me about what it was like in medical school which was intresting to me as i probably wouldnt go to medical school as im more artistically inclinded. this whole stay has been a very good experince (very close to my stays at childrens a few years ago) as the staff is very pleasent and the doctors and residents are very caring and that if i need anything they go to great legths to make sure im comfortable as possib;e. going beackto my day time nurse as he is a hoot he is ex army medic (airborne, dont remeber the number but its the all american s) who just keeps me in good spirits and is a wealth of knowledge as we have talked about alot subjects this week the war stories have been real good as he was in the first gulf war. well that all for now hopefully i will be able to go home on sunday so that will be one more step on the road to recovery
kevin- you bet even if i am a litte out of my mind i still have to get my fix (yup sign of a true addict)

kman and nightwish thank you for the encouraging words as they mean a whole lot to me as the community reaches a little farther then one my think at the surface.

parrothead - i will get back to diving probably back in the spring after everything has healed and that time wont come soon enough as there nothing more peaceful and relaxing as hovering in the water just gliding along like a fish

skeet i will make that a plan as im planning on working at pk again this comming summer so on the weekends go hit some spots on the lake.

well you all im gonna log off and get some sleep and i will catch you all later

Tooth

Hey Tooth,

What's crohns?

As an aside, Mom had some taken out awhile back. Nasty stuff.

By the way, Mom just got back from a little foliage tour trip. She recovered well. Took a little time though, and she's 78. It's the "blowin' and goin" thing now.

Ya divin' next summer? :D

Get well quick.

Well heres is some even better news is, i came home today from the hospital which was good as i will be able to sleep in my own bed and not be woken at 5 am when the residents do rounds (lol), so let the recovery begin.

sealskin

crohn's is a disease that effects the GI tract (any part of it, but mainly in the small instetines) and can cause a wide variety of symptoms from fatigue, and loss of appitite and abdominal pain and worse. they arent sure what causes it (either genetics or enviromental trigger) its more prevelent in families that have a history of ibs (irratable bowel syndrome) or other conditions effectting the GI tract. for me it has mainly been where the large and small instestine come together and this has been where the site of these two surguries, as for my symptoms that have run the gamut but the main ones for me have been the abdominal pain, and fatigue( there are others but they arent as noticeable) that seem to raise there ugly head when im not doing to well or are starting not to do to well.

heres a couple of links for you

Crohns and Colitus Foundation of America

good article on crohns on healingwell.com

Web MD article

parrothead

lol i dont think i would make it through med school as thats like 12 years before i could ever get into a pratice, plus in this day and age becomeing a doctor can be more of a liability because of the reisk of being sued. plus my graphical and photographic talents make me happier, i may never be a millionaire but if im happy it will all be good (and the ability to go dive when ever i want)

well its getting late and time for dinner so im gonna log off and i will catch you all later.

Tooth

It's great to see you getting along so well so soon after surgery. You and CBulla need to get together in cyberworld and recover together!

Keep us posted on your progress....

Tooth, it sounds like you have a really great medical team pulling for you! That can make all the difference in the world as far as attitude and reducing nervousness and depression (which I feel sure that neither of these is a huge problem for YOU, with your spirit, but all of us can feel these things during times of unwell.) I pray that you have a speedy recovery and are back to diving asap.

Foo

Tooth, glad you are on your way to recovery. I have diverticulosis which sometimes turns into diverticulitis. Then I get acute abdoninal pain. So far I have been lucky enough to treat it with antibiotics. I fear that one day it will get bad enough that I will have to have a serjury simillar to yours. It also acts up when I'm under phisical or mental stress like your problem. Hope you can dive soon.

frank

just a question for you, what cocktail of antibiotics do they have you on as i have found that certain combonations work better then others. as for the stress, it effects me the same as it can really kick everything up. for me when it gets back i just take some time off or atleast back away from somethings so it will calm down.

Dee what happened Cbulla and what surgury did collin have ?

also im loving the effect of the vicodin today as its just making me a complete cartoon

Tooth

Tooth,
I'm not sure of the antibiotic (just 1 pill) that I take. About a year ago I was given a shot in the buttocks of sephrin ?? (spelling), another shot 2 days later and sephrin pills for 10 days. I guess that I trust my doctor too much. He's a great guy and a diver.

Its ok there are times i cant remember what im on, thats why i carry a card in my wallet with it all on there. so i know what you mean about not being able to remember names

i have heard of that antibiotic before but as for spelling your guess is as best as mine but thats in the same class as cipro, flagyl and several other broad spectrum antibiotics, which are good. Its not a bad thing to trust the docs as the ones i have i trust with my life because for the most part they have been my doctor for a good portion of my life, and it also helps that there all good friends (GI & Surgeon)

Tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom